Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Roy Lenferink <rl...@apache.org> on 2020/02/22 11:11:15 UTC

[VOTE] Move community.a.o site from CMS/SVN to Hugo/Git

Hi all,

After this week's proposal [1] I'd like to start a formal vote on moving over community.a.o from the
current Apache CMS/SVN to Hugo/Git.

Involved steps:
- Create a comdev-site gitbox repository which will be synced with the current comdev-site repo on
GitHub.
- Rename 'trunk' to 'master' and set 'master' as default branch (git repo)
- Create a Jenkins job which generates the actual site to the 'asf-site' branch
- Move serving of community.a.o from svn to git
- Remove 'community' from the CMS
- Add a MOVED_TO_GIT file to the svn repo making clear the the directory contents have moved
to git.

Please vote:
[ ] +1 for moving over from the CMS/svn to Hugo/git.
[ ] -1 for not moving over, in this case please explain why

Best,
Roy

[1] https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r338baf731f509c6ae833600469c2b247cafe02022c1687a705a66012%40%3Cdev.community.apache.org%3E

Re: [VOTE] Move community.a.o site from CMS/SVN to Hugo/Git

Posted by Austin Bennett <wh...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kamil Breguła <ka...@polidea.com>.
+1 (no-binding)
I developed Airflow website using Hugo. It's fantastic.
https://airflow.apache.org/
https://github.com/apache/airflow-site

Posted by Willem Jiang <ni...@apache.org>.
+1 (no-binding)

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
+1 for moving to git
-0 for hugo, as I believe we would have a bigger set of familiar people
comfortable contributing to Jekyll based website based on its wide adoption
at other places ata Apache.

On Sat, Feb 22, 2020 at 12:11 Roy Lenferink <rl...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> After this week's proposal [1] I'd like to start a formal vote on moving
> over community.a.o from the
> current Apache CMS/SVN to Hugo/Git.
>
> Involved steps:
> - Create a comdev-site gitbox repository which will be synced with the
> current comdev-site repo on
> GitHub.
> - Rename 'trunk' to 'master' and set 'master' as default branch (git repo)
> - Create a Jenkins job which generates the actual site to the 'asf-site'
> branch
> - Move serving of community.a.o from svn to git
> - Remove 'community' from the CMS
> - Add a MOVED_TO_GIT file to the svn repo making clear the the directory
> contents have moved
> to git.
>
> Please vote:
> [ ] +1 for moving over from the CMS/svn to Hugo/git.
> [ ] -1 for not moving over, in this case please explain why
>
> Best,
> Roy
>
> [1]
> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r338baf731f509c6ae833600469c2b247cafe02022c1687a705a66012%40%3Cdev.community.apache.org%3E

Sent from my Mobile device

Re: [VOTE] Move community.a.o site from CMS/SVN to Hugo/Git

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.
+1 (non-binding) to switching to a git-based website
+0 (non-binding) to switching to Hugo

While I'm more familiar with Jekyll than Hugo, the switch to a
git-based website creates a *super* low bar to contribute to now for
Apache Accumulo, the primary project I contribute to at Apache, that I
think all projects should do it. It's now so easy that any committer
can easily and automatically stage updates to our site by merely
merging a pull request on GitHub. Publish from staging to production
is trivial with a one-liner git command
(https://github.com/apache/accumulo-website/blob/master/README.md#publishing).
My main concern for ComDev here is for the use of Hugo over Jekyll,
because 1) I'm not familiar with Hugo at all (though I know it is
still Markdown-based), and 2) I don't know if INFRA supports automated
Hugo builds like it does for Pelican and now Jekyll. If INFRA's
.asf.yaml buildbot features can support the Hugo build automation like
Pelican or Jekyll, I'm wholeheartedly in favor of ComDev leveraging
it. Otherwise, I'd recommend using Pelican or Jekyll instead.

Posted by Roy Lenferink <rl...@apache.org>.
Adding my +1 as well

Posted by Ming Wen <we...@apache.org>.
+1 (non-binding)

Xin Wang <da...@gmail.com>于2020年3月7日 周六上午11:22写道:

> +1 (non-binding)
>
> - Xin
>
> Manish Sharma <sa...@gmail.com> 于2020年3月6日周五 下午11:52写道:
>
> > +1
> >
> > On Fri, 6 Mar 2020 at 20:49, Tomasz Urbaszek <tu...@apache.org>
> wrote:
> >
> > > +1 (no-binding)
> > >
> > > T.

> on
> > > moving

> > with
> > > the
> > > (git
> > > 'asf-site'
> > > directory

> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r338baf731f509c6ae833600469c2b247cafe02022c1687a705a66012%40%3Cdev.community.apache.org%3E

> Xin

Ming Wen, Apache APISIX
Twitter: _WenMing

Re: [VOTE] Move community.a.o site from CMS/SVN to Hugo/Git

Posted by Xin Wang <da...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

- Xin

Manish Sharma <sa...@gmail.com> 于2020年3月6日周五 下午11:52写道:

> +1
>
> On Fri, 6 Mar 2020 at 20:49, Tomasz Urbaszek <tu...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > +1 (no-binding)
> >
> > T.
> >

> > On Fri, Mar 6, 2020 at 4:06 PM Aditya Sharma <ad...@apache.org>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > +1 (no-binding)
> > >
> > > Thanks and Regards,
> > > Aditya Sharma

> > moving

> with
> > the
> > (git
> > 'asf-site'
> > directory

> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r338baf731f509c6ae833600469c2b247cafe02022c1687a705a66012%40%3Cdev.community.apache.org%3E

Xin

Re: [VOTE] Move community.a.o site from CMS/SVN to Hugo/Git

Posted by Manish Sharma <sa...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Tomasz Urbaszek <tu...@apache.org>.
+1 (no-binding)

Posted by Aditya Sharma <ad...@apache.org>.
+1 (no-binding)

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <ja...@potiuk.com>.

Posted by Liang Zhang <zh...@apache.org>.
+1 (no-binding)

Posted by Aizhamal Nurmamat kyzy <ai...@apache.org>.
+1 (non-binding)

Hugo is much easier to manage than Jekyll from my personal experience as a
non-developer.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.