Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by rajan gupta <ra...@gmail.com> on 2012/01/26 04:45:48 UTC

Setting random string in a text field

Hi

I need to set a field with a random string. How can I tell JMeter to put
the random string in a field instead of a static value.
Please let me know.

I have a function which generates random string as shown below.

function randomString() {
    var chars = "ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXTZabcdefghiklmnopqrstuvwxyz";
    var string_length = 8;
    var randomstring = '';
    for (var i=0; i<string_length; i++) {
        var rnum = Math.floor(Math.random() * chars.length);
        randomstring += chars.substring(rnum,rnum+1);
    }
    return randomstring;
}

Thanks
Rajan

Re: Setting random string in a text field

Posted by rajan gupta <ra...@gmail.com>.
This worked for me..
Thanks ZK

Posted by Philippe Mouawad <ph...@gmail.com>.
Hello,
You probably didn't install correctly the nightly build.

Get it here:
https://builds.apache.org/job/JMeter-trunk/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/trunk/dist/

Then follow this:
http://jmeter.apache.org/nightly.html
Installing JMeter runtime Download the _bin and _lib files
Unpack the archives into the same directory structure
The other archives are not needed to run JMeter.

You must not mix and old with a new version
Regards
Philippe

--
Cordialement.
Philippe Mouawad.

Re: Setting random string in a text field

Posted by rajan gupta <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi Philippe

Posted by Philippe Mouawad <ph...@gmail.com>.
Note that if you use latest nightly build that will be very close to next
2.6 release , you have a new function __RandomString
with 3 parameters:
- String length
- Chars to use in generation
- Name of variable if you want to store result in a variable.

Regards
Philippe

On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 10:43 AM, ZK <st...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> you could use this JAVA code in a beanshell PreProcessor:
> //code start
> import java.util.Random;
>
> chars = "ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXTZabcdefghiklmnopqrstuvwxyz";
> int string_length = 8;
> randomstring ="";
>    for (int i=0; i<string_length; i++) {
>        Random randomGenerator = new Random();
>        int randomInt = randomGenerator.nextInt(chars.length());
>        randomstring += chars.substring(randomInt,randomInt+1);
>    }
>
> vars.put("yourValue",randomstring);
> //code end
>

> The above code creates a random string and outputs to the variable
> yourValue
> This can be accessed in the normal way by using:
> ${yourValue}
>

> HTH
> ZK

Cordialement.
Philippe Mouawad.

Re: Setting random string in a text field