Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Andreas Andreou <an...@di.uoa.gr> on 2005/05/23 11:35:23 UTC

Would a Visual Tool be helpful to Tapestry?

Hi.
I'd like to hear your opinions on whether a visual tool would actually
help during development.
What features should it have, what it should do and what it shouldn't.
Has anyone used such a tool (perhaps for struts or jsf) ?
Does it really help in large-scale apps?
I'm asking all these 'cause (more out of curiosity) I've put together a
(display-only)
version of such a tool for Tapestry. I've posted some screenshots at
http://andyhot.di.uoa.gr/blojsom/blog/default/java/2005/05/23/Diagrams_for_Tapestry.html
and I'm now thinking of further steps.
Andreas Andreou

Re: Would a Visual Tool be helpful to Tapestry?

Posted by Andreas Andreou <an...@di.uoa.gr>.
Christian wrote:

> Hi Andreas
>
> I personally think you're on the right track, but I didnt use tapestry
> in large-scale applications
> How do you position your tool vs. Spring Web Flow? Or, let me ask
> differently: could you
> imagine your tool beeing a frontend to Spring Web Flow?

Actually, I'm more interested in supoorting Tapestry, so I'd have to
wait and see if and how
Tapestry is going to be integrated with WebFlow or if it's going to use
another solution. There's
been some discussion on the dev list about how to best define page
transitions, e.t.c. but
I don't really know where we're heading...

Posted by Andreas Andreou <an...@di.uoa.gr>.
Patrick Casey wrote:

>	Mostly I'm interested in a WYSYWIG page editor, like Visual Studio
>.NET has for its web forms. It should be possible to read the .page files
>and associated component definitions to generate object properties pages and
>whatnot, thus allowing you do set your properties and bindings right there
>on the editor in a fashion consistent with, say VB form design (or .NET form
>design for that matter).

This could be done by extending the .page editor of Spindle

>	I'm less interested in graphical workflow editing because, in my
>experience, there isn't really a way to "universally" decouple workflow
>description from an underlying system implementation.

I tend to agree with this opinion and that's why the tool I created only
shows
an overview of your application, instead of allowing workflow editing.
For a tool to be useful, it really has to take into account how we
(developers)
create (assemble) web applications - Spindle and Palette are great for
creating
individual pages, but I think there's a gap in the pages-components
interraction
domain. For instance, from the overview graph that this tool created, I
just saw
that 2 of my pages don't have any navigation path leading to them. They
ware just old
versions of other pages and were somehow carried along into the current
version.

Posted by Patrick Casey <pa...@adelphia.net>.
	Mostly I'm interested in a WYSYWIG page editor, like Visual Studio
.NET has for its web forms. It should be possible to read the .page files
and associated component definitions to generate object properties pages and
whatnot, thus allowing you do set your properties and bindings right there
on the editor in a fashion consistent with, say VB form design (or .NET form
design for that matter).

	I'm less interested in graphical workflow editing because, in my
experience, there isn't really a way to "universally" decouple workflow
description from an underlying system implementation. Which means you either

Posted by Christian <ch...@bluepenguin.ch>.
Hi Andreas