Posted to users@continuum.apache.org by Robin Roos <Ro...@Investec.co.uk> on 2008/04/09 12:30:12 UTC

Apparent performance degradation with each build left on server

* Continuum 2.0-SNAPSHOT from 28-Feb-2008, Archiva 1.0.1, GNU Lunix
2.6.18-8.el5, JDK 1.5.0_15 *

Hi Folks

I've been watching my project build time take a little longer with each
build.  Yes, the project has been growing, but not as much or in as
linear a fashion as suggested by the ever increasing build times.

Then yesterday someone (Unix sysadmin?) or something (continuum?)
deleted previous build results for the projects so that only the two
most recent builds were left in the continuum/work/4/target directory on
the server.

Suddenly my build times became respectable again.

Now, a few builds later, I notice that the build is taking a little
longer each time.

Does Continuum suffer from a near-linear performance hit for each prior
build on the server?  Perhaps Archiva suffers in some way?

I know the data I provide below is insufficient for any statistical
conclusion but I thought I'd ask in case other people have seen this
also.

Thanks, Robin.

Before acting on this e mail or opening any attachment please read the disclaimer which can be accessed at http://www.investec.com/EmailDisclaimer/UKEmailDisclaimer.htm
Investec Bank (UK) Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority.

This e-mail has been scanned for viruses by MCI's Internet Managed Scanning Services - powered by MessageLabs. For further information visit http://www.mci.com

Investec Bank (UK) Limited
Registered office: 2 Gresham Street, London, EC2V 7QP Company No: 00489604 Incorporated in England and Wales

Re: Apparent performance degradation with each build left on server

Posted by deckrider <de...@gmail.com>.
I have to restart almost one a week also. Otherwise simply browsing to
see the list of projects becomes painfully slow.

On 4/9/08, Julien Stern <ju...@cryptolog.com> wrote:
> Robin,
>
> your issue might be related to this:
>
> http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/CONTINUUM-1528
>
> Have you tried restarting Continuum?
> Does your build times come back to normal after such a restart?
> Restarting (about once a week) works for me.
>
> --
> Julien
>
> Robin Roos wrote:
> > * Continuum 2.0-SNAPSHOT from *28-Feb-2008*, Archiva 1.0.1, GNU Lunix
> > 2.6.18-8.el5, JDK 1.5.0_15 *
> >
> > Hi Folks
> >
> > I've been watching my project build time take a little longer with each
> > build.  Yes, the project has been growing, but not as much or in as
> > linear a fashion as suggested by the ever increasing build times.
> >
> > Then yesterday someone (Unix sysadmin?) or something (continuum?)
> > deleted previous build results for the projects so that only the two
> > most recent builds were left in the continuum/work/4/target directory on
> > the server.
> >
> > Suddenly my build times became respectable again.
> >
> > Now, a few builds later, I notice that the build is taking a little
> > longer each time.
> >
> > Does Continuum suffer from a near-linear performance hit for each prior
> > build on the server?  Perhaps Archiva suffers in some way?
> >
> > I know the data I provide below is insufficient for any statistical
> > conclusion but I thought I'd ask in case other people have seen this also.
> >
> > Thanks, Robin.

> > Before acting on this e mail or opening any attachment please read the
> > disclaimer which can be accessed at
> > http://www.investec.com/EmailDisclaimer/UKEmailDisclaimer.htm
> > Investec Bank (UK) Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial
> > Services Authority.

> > This e-mail has been scanned for viruses by MCI's Internet Managed
> > Scanning Services - powered by MessageLabs. For further information
> > visit http://www.mci.com
> >
> > Investec Bank (UK) Limited
> > Registered office: 2 Gresham Street, London, EC2V 7QP Company No:
> > 00489604 Incorporated in England and Wales

--
ASCII ribbon campaign:
()  against HTML email

Re: Apparent performance degradation with each build left on server

Posted by Julien Stern <ju...@cryptolog.com>.
Robin,

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
Hi,
Could you try with a build of the current trunk ?

Olivier