Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com> on 2006/11/17 21:44:58 UTC

Flag to set all snapshot repos to updatePolicy = never?

Can we get a flag to mvn, which will set all snapshot repos
updatePolicy to never?

I'm trying to get a build that will always use locally installed
snapshots, but allow new deps to be downloaded if needed.  All I can
think of now is to create a new profile which redefines all of the
snapshot repos with <updatePolicy>never</updatePolicy>... but that
gets messy as I need to add a profile to every pom that defines a repo.

Would it be hard to implement  a simple cli flag, like -nsu (--no-
snapshot-updates) which will just force all snap repos to never
update?  This would be very, very, very helpful for automated builds,
when the local repo cache is known to have the right deps.

--jason

Re: Re: Flag to set all snapshot repos to updatePolicy = never?

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
Oh, maybe... I was watching this thread... lemme peek, I get way to
much email :-(

Cool.  Thanks Brett.

--jason

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
erm, didn't I apply it already?

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
So, no love?

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
Aight... no worries, just checking.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
I've got 4 more days! :)

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
Ever get a chance?

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
But we should be able to use the :single goal like we do for
maven-2.0.x until the other lifecycle things are sorted out.

- Brett

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
 From what I can tell this mail is talking about putting the assemble
in the top-level pom, not in the maven-cli pom.

In Geronimo we hook up assembly:attached to be executed by default
when `mvn install` is run with no problems.  The result is, there is
one command to build modules and generate the assembly zips.

It looks like the maven-cli module executes last anyways, so hooking
up assemble:attached should not cause any problems... only reduces
the steps to build the assembly.

--jason

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
Why is this step needed:

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
Is this on trunk?

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
I started to peep at what it would take to implement this...

Looks like the cli options need to be updated to know about a -nsu, --
no-snapshot-updates.  And the execution request needs a flag to hold
the state and DefaultMaven.execute() needs to be updated to set the
artifact repo factory's global update policy to
ArtifactRepositoryPolicy.UPDATE_POLICY_NEVER

Does that sound about right?

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
I took a stab at it... can someone have a peek:

     http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-2681

Thanks,

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
I will peek at this next week... taking a break for all things build
for a few days.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.