Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Suneel Marthi <sm...@apache.org> on 2016/09/23 17:51:25 UTC

Request to join Apache Streams (Incubating) as Mentor

<eom>

Re: Request to join Apache Streams (Incubating) as Mentor

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.
Great news. You Apache Streams had a going out of business sale that went
so well their back in business !

Posted by apache <sb...@apache.org>.
+1 (non-binding)

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.
On 2016-09-28 00:08, John D. Ament wrote:
> is there anyone on streams to object?

I don't think so, no :-)

> Is this going to be more of a reboot or do we expect some amount of going
> forward?

Right now, I expect or at least hope some amount of going forward.

Or depending on the outcome of some new discussions and potential interest
voiced by a member on the W3C ActivityStreams 2.0 spec group, it might even
lead to a reboot.
It is too early to tell either way.

> We had a similar case recently with another podling.  There was a
> retirement vote, some community voices, when it came to actually reviving
> they got part way through and ended up sputtering out.  Its nothing against
> them, its just that priorities change.
>
> I would strongly recommend that we monitor streams for 3 months like a new
> podling, just to make sure progress is happening.  If no progress, or some
> issues pop up, we need to all be comfortable with cutting bait on it.

I agree, and I think it is a good suggestion to switch back to a 3 monthly
reporting schedule to keep the IPMC in the loop on progress (or lack thereof).

Ate

Streams podling back to monthly reporting schedule [Was: Re: Request to join Apache Streams (Incubating) as Mentor]

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.
On 2016-09-28 00:08, John D. Ament wrote:
> is there anyone on streams to object?
> Is this going to be more of a reboot or do we expect some amount of going
> forward?
>
> We had a similar case recently with another podling.  There was a
> retirement vote, some community voices, when it came to actually reviving
> they got part way through and ended up sputtering out.  Its nothing against
> them, its just that priorities change.
>
> I would strongly recommend that we monitor streams for 3 months like a new
> podling, just to make sure progress is happening.  If no progress, or some
> issues pop up, we need to all be comfortable with cutting bait on it.

Agreed and done.

I've now updating podlings.xml and set the monthly reporting back to "true"
until at least the end of this year.
We will manually add the Streams report for this month shortly.

Not sure how to force update clutch though.
Do I need to execute that locally and then commit the generated changes?
I couldn't find specific documentation instructions other than just updating
the podlings.xml file.

Note: I have the same question for the Netbeans podling which also isn't
showing up in the clutch report page yet [1]

Regards, Ate

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/clutch.html

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.
On 2016-09-28 01:20, Craig McClanahan wrote:
> (This might end up as coming from my gmail account -- GMail is not
> particularly helpful in getting the right from getting the right from
> address).
>
> +1 on Suneel being added as a mentor.
>
> Craig
>
> PS:  Sadly, I am going to have zero cycles available to help on this
> podling, but do wish it success.

Thanks for the support Craig.

However as you say you won't be able to help mentor Streams, it would be good
if you can inform the IPMC on general@ and we then can take you of the mentor
list.

Kind regards, Ate

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Suneel Marthi <sm...@apache.org>.
Thanks Ate. Looking forward to help revive this project.

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.

Posted by Sergio Fernández <wi...@apache.org>.
OK. Just try to properly report all this in your next cycle (including
links to each important discussion/vote mail) to have it properly tracked.

All the best for the podling.

On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 2:37 PM, Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu> wrote:

> On 2016-09-26 09:42, Sergio Fernández wrote:
>
>> How this vote relates with the other thread about retiring Apache Streams
>> to the attic?
>>
>> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/077e46f67271c2e2e2d406b
>> 8b1f8cf9ae633a71bccffefdfd206d0b4@%3Cgeneral.incubator.apache.org%3E
>>
>> I'm a bit confused... maybe I missed some mails.
>>
> I guess so :-)
>
> There has been new feedback and input which potentially might bring this
> podling back on its feet.
> And the offer from Suneel to become mentor for Apache Streams is part of
> that.
>
> For these reasons I've cancelled the vote for retirement, for now.
>
> Concerning the process for assigning Suneel as mentor, can we assume lazy
> consensus and just 'make it so' in a few days, if nobody objects?
>
> Thanks, Ate
>

>> On Sun, Sep 25, 2016 at 12:25 PM, Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu> wrote:
>>
>> I'm happy to add and have Suneel join me as mentor for Apache Streams.
>>>
>>> I can't find anything about this: Is there any formal process or voting
>>> needed
>>> before I make this so?
>>>
>>> Ate
>>>
>>> On 2016-09-23 19:51, Suneel Marthi wrote:
>>>
>>> <eom>

Sergio Fernández
Partner Technology Manager
Redlink GmbH
m: +43 6602747925
e: sergio.fernandez@redlink.co
w: http://redlink.co

Re: Request to join Apache Streams (Incubating) as Mentor

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.

Posted by Sergio Fernández <wi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.