Posted to users@camel.apache.org by Christian Müller <ch...@gmail.com> on 2013/01/16 22:12:47 UTC

[CAMEL-3.0] Start moving forward

I find it very difficult to start a such huge and important challenge as
Camel 3.0 will be, for sure. I think the most difficult part is to get
consensus about what we do it and how we do it. We already collect some
useful ideas at [1], but I have the feeling we have to review these ideas.
First of all, because I don't think we can do all of them in one release (I
also have a few more - more important from my point of view - ideas,
collected from users, contributors, committers and PMC members). Second,
some ideas need more "meat" before someone else than the authors know what
this means and which impact it has. Third, a few of these ideas are already
implemented in Camel 2.11 or before, so that we can remove it from this
page to be more focused.

- Rename "Camel 3.0 - Roadmap" into "Camel 3.0 - Ideas"

- Start a fresh "Camel 3.0 - Roadmap" WIKI page which we will fill with
content in the next weeks
 - I propose to subdivide this page into three (child) pages:
  - What has to be done before we can start working on Camel 3.0 (probably
during the (short term) Camel 2.12)
  - What are the changes we do in Camel 3.0
  - What is postpone to 3.1 or later
 - Afterwards we put everything together, we will see on which ideas we
already agree and which ones requires detailed discussions.
  - For later ones I propose  a weekly (or two times per week) IRC/Skype
session for discussion (Which days/time fit best for you?)
  - We should also start a [DISCUSS CAMEL-3.0: <TOPIC>] thread at dev@ for
the guys they are not able to attend
  - Afterwards we will send the results to the dev@ mailing list to share
it (if you are interested in it, join us at dev@camel.apache.org)

I will start with it after 72 h to give everyone the possibility to suggest
another approach (I will only start writing down some ideas which are not
on table right now). And of course, every help is welcome. A simple -1 or
better +1 ;-) is not much, but also helpful and better than no feedback...
Better, if you join us [2] and ride together with us Camel 3.0.

[1] http://camel.apache.org/camel-30-roadmap.html
[2] http://camel.apache.org/contributing.html

Best,
Christian

Re: [CAMEL-3.0] Start moving forward

Posted by Willem jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.
Yeah, we need a detail plan and time table for the Camel 3.0.0.

As we have the patch release for the major Camel release, it is make sense to change the Camel version of 3.0.0

BTW, merge the patches into three different branches makes us have less time to think about the new version of Camel, I'd like to suggest we only support Camel 2.11.x when we doing the Camel 3.0.0 development.

--
Willem Jiang

Red Hat, Inc.
FuseSource is now part of Red Hat
Twitter: willemjiang
Weibo: 姜宁willem

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
For the webconsole, I'd make sure to have a look at http://hawt.io/

On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 11:03 PM, Christian Müller <
christian.mueller@gmail.com> wrote:

> Lukasz, could you have a look at [1]!?
> We are looking for a champion for the task "Light-weight web console" (if
> it has enough endorsements). If I remember right, you are playing with
> something what could be this light-weight web console. ;-)
> Do you consider to take a stab on this?
>
> [1] http://camel.apache.org/camel-30-ideas.html
>
> Best,
> Christian
>
> On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 1:27 PM, Babak Vahdat
> <ba...@swissonline.ch>wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > As much as the time permits I will try to follow this move and maybe give
> > my
> > ideas & feedback to the cool new enhancements/features you are thinking
> > about. However my involvement in this area will not be as active as many
> > others.
> >
> > Looking forward to Camel 3.0
> >
> > Babak
> >

> > --

------------------------
Guillaume Nodet
------------------------
Red Hat, Open Source Integration

Email: gnodet@redhat.com
Web: http://fusesource.com
Blog: http://gnodet.blogspot.com/

Re: [CAMEL-3.0] Start moving forward

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
I think one of the most interesting part of hawtio is that the same console
can be used in OSGi or in a non-OSGi environment and that's is pluggable
with dynamic discovery.  That's really what we needed for years, back to
the ServiceMix 4 early stage.
Having a single console that can adapt multiple deployment environments is
really a must-have and that was the problem so far with the current
console: we have an activemq and a camel console that work on their own,
and a karaf / felix console that only work in OSGi.  Having the possibility
to unify those is really AWESOME !!!

On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 10:48 AM, Charles Moulliard <ch...@gmail.com>wrote:

> [...]
> appreciate that everybody fully agree about that idea instead of
> continuying to re-invent new webconsole every next major realease of Camel.
> - Pertinent remark about command shell and karaf. We will continue this
> discussion within Karaf project
>

> On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 10:05 AM, James Strachan
> <ja...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > On 25 January 2013 08:07, Charles Moulliard <ch...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > +1 for the project plan and if you are interested I can play the role
> of
> > > Project Manager to coordinate all the different tasks, actions, define
> > > plan and
> > > following
> > > manage it
> > >
> > > Concerning the webconsole, http://hawt.io project should be the way to
> > go
> > > (or at least jolokia - http://jolokia.org/ ) even if until now the
> code
> > is
> > > too much javascript, typescript oriented (at my opinion).
> >
> > You can write hawtio plugins in anything that compiles-to-JS. So use
> > pure JS,  CoffeeScript, EcmaScript6-transpiler, TypeScript, GWT,
> > Kotlin, Ceylon, ClojureScript, ScalaJS or any of the other languages
> > that compile to JS:
> > http://altjs.org/
> >
> > So take your pick; the person who creates a hawtio plugin can use
> > whatever language they prefer; so get cracking Charles on a new plugin
> > and you can use your preferred language! :)
> >
> > The only real APIs a plugin needs to worry about are AngularJS (if you
> > want to work in the core layout rather than just be an iframe), JSON
> > for some pretty trivial extension points like adding new tabs and HTML
> > & CSS. We'll probably move to something like RequireJS for dynamic
> > module loading at some point; but thats pretty language agnostic
> > anyway.
> >

> > > Nevertheless, the webconsole project for Camel should be designed as
> > > pluggable, REST based,
> > > most probably synchronized with also commands that
> > > we have in Karaf (to avoid to duplicate code), packaged as a WAR
> > deployable
> > > in any Java container (Tomcat, TomEE, Jetty, JEE, Karaf).
> >
> > That describes hawtio pretty well already. Now we've got hawtio I'm
> > not sure why we need another web console project?
> >
> > The missing bit is reusing karaf commands easily in a web console (as
> > they are text console based which isn't ideal); ideally we'd be able
> > to introduce an 'object layer' within the commands so that they can
> > expose JSON objects before they are turned into text console strings -
> > so that a web UI can provide a richer visualisation.
> >
> > e.g. check the comments on this issue - in particular try watching the
> > TermKit demo videos to show the kinds of things a command shell could
> > look like in a browser...
> > https://github.com/hawtio/hawtio/issues/17
> >
> > Though the karaf commands are discussion for the karaf project.

------------------------
Guillaume Nodet
------------------------

Posted by Charles Moulliard <ch...@gmail.com>.

--
Charles Moulliard

Re: [CAMEL-3.0] Start moving forward

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Charles Moulliard <ch...@gmail.com>.
+1 for the project plan and if you are interested I can play the role of
Project Manager to coordinate all the different tasks, actions, define a
plan and
following
manage it

Concerning the webconsole, http://hawt.io project should be the way to go
(or at least jolokia - http://jolokia.org/ ) even if until now the code is
too much javascript, typescript oriented (at my opinion).
Nevertheless, the webconsole project for Camel should be designed as
pluggable, REST based, most probably synchronized with also commands that
we have in Karaf (to avoid to duplicate code), packaged as a WAR deployable
in any Java container (Tomcat, TomEE, Jetty, JEE, Karaf).

On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 11:03 PM, Christian Müller <
christian.mueller@gmail.com> wrote:

> Lukasz, could you have a look at [1]!?
> We are looking for a champion for the task "Light-weight web console" (if
> it has enough endorsements). If I remember right, you are playing with
> something what could be this light-weight web console. ;-)
> Do you consider to take a stab on this?
>
> [1] http://camel.apache.org/camel-30-ideas.html
>
> Best,
> Christian
>
> On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 1:27 PM, Babak Vahdat
> <ba...@swissonline.ch>wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > As much as the time permits I will try to follow this move and maybe give
> > my
> > ideas & feedback to the cool new enhancements/features you are thinking
> > about. However my involvement in this area will not be as active as many
> > others.
> >
> > Looking forward to Camel 3.0
> >
> > Babak
> >

> > --

Charles Moulliard

Re: [CAMEL-3.0] Start moving forward

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.
Anybody. We need to hear the ideas of even non-committers actually.
However if there are enough endorsements I'd think there is no need to
add another one. What is more important is to see if anybody has
anything against an idea and what kind of arguments he'd bring to the table.

Hadrian

Posted by Henryk Konsek <he...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christian Müller <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christian Müller <ch...@gmail.com>.
Christian, could you have a look at [1]!?
We are looking for a champion for the task "Split camel-core into multiple
parts". We already talked about it in the past and if I remember correct,
you are willing to take a stab on this. Right? Still the same?

Posted by Henryk Konsek <he...@gmail.com>.
> +1 for having discussion on mailing list.

Oh, and the idea with separated wiki pages - just great :) .

Posted by Henryk Konsek <he...@gmail.com>.
> be in the loop and participate.
> Its the Apache way.

+1 for having discussion on mailing list.

Not only due to the fact that I want to be in the loop, but also
because the discussion should be "googlable" for users interested in
the reasoning behind the direction of Camel development.

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Oh been too busy with work, than having the time to read this thread
and respond.

On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 10:12 PM, Christian Müller
<ch...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I find it very difficult to start a such huge and important challenge as
> Camel 3.0 will be, for sure. I think the most difficult part is to get
> consensus about what we do it and how we do it. We already collect some
> useful ideas at [1], but I have the feeling we have to review these ideas.
> First of all, because I don't think we can do all of them in one release (I
> also have a few more - more important from my point of view - ideas,
> collected from users, contributors, committers and PMC members). Second,
> some ideas need more "meat" before someone else than the authors know what
> this means and which impact it has. Third, a few of these ideas are already
> implemented in Camel 2.11 or before, so that we can remove it from this
> page to be more focused.
>
> - Rename "Camel 3.0 - Roadmap" into "Camel 3.0 - Ideas"

Yeah good idea to rename it to "ideas" as that page was frankly just
ideas we have
noted down over the time for possible inclusion in Camel 3.x.

> - Start a fresh "Camel 3.0 - Roadmap" WIKI page which we will fill with
> content in the next weeks
>  - I propose to subdivide this page into three (child) pages:
>   - What has to be done before we can start working on Camel 3.0 (probably
> during the (short term) Camel 2.12)
>   - What are the changes we do in Camel 3.0
>   - What is postpone to 3.1 or later
>  - Afterwards we put everything together, we will see on which ideas we
> already agree and which ones requires detailed discussions.

Yeah having a new 3.0 roadmap page is a good idea.

And another page for ideas for the future. Though I suggest to not tie
that into 3.1 etc.
Just for the future eg in the 3.x timeframe.

>   - For later ones I propose  a weekly (or two times per week) IRC/Skype
> session for discussion (Which days/time fit best for you?)
>   - We should also start a [DISCUSS CAMEL-3.0: <TOPIC>] thread at dev@ for
> the guys they are not able to attend
>   - Afterwards we will send the results to the dev@ mailing list to share
> it (if you are interested in it, join us at dev@camel.apache.org)

be in the loop and participate.
Its the Apache way.

> I will start with it after 72 h to give everyone the possibility to suggest
> another approach (I will only start writing down some ideas which are not
> on table right now). And of course, every help is welcome. A simple -1 or
> better +1 ;-) is not much, but also helpful and better than no feedback...
> Better, if you join us [2] and ride together with us Camel 3.0.

Frankly with the work load and what else people do in their daily job, they
may not have the time to give their feedback and thoughts about this
if the timeframe is as low as 72 hours. I barely had the time to do so.

Though as I guess no final decisions is made within this time.
I see no issue wit starting the work with the wiki pages.
That should be ongoing for some time, so all have had the
amble time to give their feedback.

> [1] http://camel.apache.org/camel-30-roadmap.html
> [2] http://camel.apache.org/contributing.html
>
> Best,
> Christian

Claus Ibsen
-----------------
Red Hat, Inc.
FuseSource is now part of Red Hat
Email: cibsen@redhat.com
Web: http://fusesource.com
Twitter: davsclaus
Blog: http://davsclaus.com

Fwd: Re: [CAMEL-3.0] Start moving forward

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.
Hmm, why did this go to users? Because Christian sent it to 3 lists.
Both me and Willem only replied to users@ :). Oops. Let's just use dev@
going forward.

Hadrian

Posted by Willem jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.
I'm OK for the discussion in the IRC and post the discussion back to dev list so every one have a chance to express his opinion.
And we made decision in the mailing list.

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 10:25 PM, Christian Müller
<ch...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Willem,
>
> that's the reason why I wrote "IRC/Skype session for discussion" and not
> "IRC/Skype session to make discussions"... ;-)
> The proposed procedure is to use IRC to be able to discuss multiple topics
> in short time. Afterwards the IRC log and may be a summery should be shared
> with the community (WIKI page, @dev mailing list, ...). After a sufficient
> amount of time (e.g. 72 hours) we can make decisions on the mailing list.
>
> Because of an urgent reason, I couldn't be only today from 7:00 - 8:00 PM.
> But it looks like I didn't miss anything. Work this proposed schedule for
> most of you (every Thursday 7:00 - 8:00 PM)?

Yeah I am okat with this time. And I think IRC chat is the best, as we
can log the conversation.
And post it on the @dev for others to see.

> [...]
>> > see how it works. Using IRC has the advantage of easy publishing the chat
>> > at dev@ after.

>> separate
>> >

>> > Do you think we should go ahead and endorse on the ideas page? Otherwise
>> > will start some [DISCUSS] threads for the ideas I will promote.

>> > Good idea. I updated the new Roadmap page.

>> more,
>> have
>> top

>> > Thanks for the initial work.

>> refactoring the
>> without
>> in a
>> sandbox.
>> without
>> more I
>> is
>> >

>> > If we can have multiple sandboxes for different ideas, +1.
>> >
>> > To anticipate objections (miscommunication will happen no matter how hard

Claus Ibsen
-----------------

Posted by Christian Müller <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hi Willem,

Re: [CAMEL-3.0] Start moving forward

Posted by Willem jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Christian

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.
Looks like we're starting to get more feedback. Awesome. More inline...
Also moved back from users@ to dev@. I really don't think this should be
on dev. If we want to make users aware of this discussions, I'd do that
via announcements on the site and maybe occasional posts to users@, but
I think now it's premature.

Hadrian

On 01/21/2013 04:34 PM, Christian Müller wrote:
> Hi Hadrian!
>
> Please find my comments inline.
>
> Best,
> Christian
>
> On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 2:47 PM, Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Christian,
>>
>> Thanks for taking the initiative and restarting the process for Camel 3.0.
>> The good news imho is that we're under no pressure and we can take the time
>> to get it right.
>>
> Right.
>

>> I like your proposal of effectively splitting the camel-3.0-roadmap page
>> into multiple pages. If I understand correctly you are suggesting the
>> following:
>> - proposals should go on the [ideas] wiki and the discussions on the
>> mailing lists would refer to the wiki
>> - the [ideas] page should only contain items currently under discussion
>> - accepted ideas should move to one of the [roadmap] pages
>> - keep separate [roadmap] pages for changes to be implemented in
>> [2.x-roadmap], [3.0-roadmap] and [3.x-roadmap]
>>
> Absolute correct.
>

>> The goal is to move faster and to avoid votes except in highly contentious
>> situations which we hope to avoid. I think that would work. I also think
>> that have an open concall on irc (plus maybe other channel) at a scheduled
>> time would be great, although hard to accommodate the time zones.
>>
> Right. I propose every Tuesday 7:00 - 8:00 PM Central European Time, but
> I'm open for others if someone has issues with this (starting tomorrow). I
> propose we use our normal IRC chat room at irc://irc.codehaus.org/camel and
> see how it works. Using IRC has the advantage of easy publishing the chat
> at dev@ after.
That's 1-2pm EST. Works for me.

>> I would add the following:
>> 1. The ideas on the [ideas] page should be short, containing just an
>> abstract. If it takes more than that the details should go in a separate
>> [discuss] thread or another page.
>>
> Do you think we should go ahead and endorse on the ideas page? Otherwise I
> will start some [DISCUSS] threads for the ideas I will promote.
The ideas page is public. The discussions on dev@ are public. My
personal take is that if it was endorsed by a quorum of committers (say
at least 3) for a number of days (at least 3), it may be safe to
consider lazy consensus and move it to the roadmap. It would be childish
to start to [discuss] things we consider more or less obvious. If
anybody changes his mind later on, we can always revisit a decision,
which is what we were doing all along anyway.

>> 2. Keep [discuss] threads focused on one topic only
>> 3. Use endorsements (e.g. username or initials like [hadrian]) to show
>> support for an idea (or [-1 hadrian] for a negative endorsement)
>>
> Good idea. I updated the new Roadmap page.
>
>> 4. Once an idea has enough endorsements (3-5, dunno, need to agree on
>> something) and no negative endorsement for at least say 72 hours or more,
>> we move it to a [roadmap] page.
>> 5. Have only a limited number of 'editors' to move [ideas] to [roadmap]
>> 6. I am also thinking that each accepted idea on the [roadmap] should have
>> a champion (not necessarily to implement/commit the code, but stay on top
>> of it)
>>
>> If no objections within 3 hours I will get to organizing the pages.
>>
> Thanks for the initial work.
>

>> In terms of concrete development, Guillaume had a very interesting
>> proposal at ACEU in November. We discussed concrete ways of refactoring the
>> api and realized that it's very hard to fully explain an idea without
>> showing some code and it's even harder to grasp the consequences without
>> experimenting a bit with the code. We talked about doing that either in a
>> (1) separate, possibly github, repo, (2) on a branch or (3) in the sandbox.
>> This would have the advantage of being able to show an fast idea without
>> concern for backward compatibility and all. More I thought about it, more I
>> liked the approach. Of the three alternatives, the one I like the most is
>> (3), I guess.
>>
> If we can have multiple sandboxes for different ideas, +1.
If needed, yeah.

Posted by Christian Müller <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hi Hadrian!

Re: [CAMEL-3.0] Start moving forward