Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Damon McMahon <da...@gmail.com> on 2007/03/13 04:00:01 UTC

sendmail's vacation(1) & "Precedence: junk" headers

Greetings,

I'd like to integrate SpamAssassin with the sendmail vacation(1)
autoresponder program. According to sendmail's vacation(1) man page:

'Messages will not be replied to if any of the following conditions are true:
- A ``Precedence: bulk'', ``Precedence: list'', or ``Precedence:
junk'' line is included in the mail headers.'

I note that SpamAssassin has a add_header configuration option, but
according to Mail::SpamAssassin::Conf(3), '...All headers begin with
"X-Spam-" (so a "header_name" Foo will generate a header called
X-Spam-Foo).'

What is the best way to configure SpamAssassin and vacation(1) to
prevent auto-replies to messages that SpamAssassin has identified as
spam?

Any advice will be appreciated,
Damon

Re: sendmail's vacation(1) & "Precedence: junk" headers

Posted by "Christopher X. Candreva" <ch...@westnet.com>.
On Tue, 13 Mar 2007, Damon McMahon wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I'd like to integrate SpamAssassin with the sendmail vacation(1)
> autoresponder program. According to sendmail's vacation(1) man page:

I posted this a while ago - I have developed a procmail include file that
does a good amount of filtering pre vacation.  You just need to set a
variable $VACATIONOPT to whatever is passed to vacation, and include this:

# Vacation Rule
#
# Vacation already skips lines with Precedence: (list|bulk|junk)
#

:0 c
* !^X-(Roving|Campaignid:|Habeas-SWE-|AMAZON)

Chris Candreva  -- chris@westnet.com -- (914) 948-3162
http://www.westnet.com/

Re: sendmail's vacation(1) & "Precedence: junk" headers

Posted by Bob McClure Jr <bo...@bobcatos.com>.
On Tue, Mar 13, 2007 at 01:30:01PM +1030, Damon McMahon wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I'd like to integrate SpamAssassin with the sendmail vacation(1)
> autoresponder program. According to sendmail's vacation(1) man page:
>
> 'Messages will not be replied to if any of the following conditions are
> true:
> - A ``Precedence: bulk'', ``Precedence: list'', or ``Precedence:
> junk'' line is included in the mail headers.'
>
> I note that SpamAssassin has a add_header configuration option, but
> according to Mail::SpamAssassin::Conf(3), '...All headers begin with
> "X-Spam-" (so a "header_name" Foo will generate a header called
> X-Spam-Foo).'
>
> What is the best way to configure SpamAssassin and vacation(1) to
> prevent auto-replies to messages that SpamAssassin has identified as
> spam?

Well, this list already has "Precedence: bulk" in the header.  Isn't
that sufficient?

And thanks for being concerned about how vacation works.

> Any advice will be appreciated,
> Damon

Cheers,
bob@bobcatos.com             http://www.bobcatos.com
Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that he may
lift you up in due time.  1 Peter 5:6 (NIV)

Re: sendmail's vacation(1) & "Precedence: junk" headers

Posted by David B Funk <db...@engineering.uiowa.edu>.
On Tue, 13 Mar 2007, Damon McMahon wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I'd like to integrate SpamAssassin with the sendmail vacation(1)
> autoresponder program. According to sendmail's vacation(1) man page:
>
> 'Messages will not be replied to if any of the following conditions are true:
> - A ``Precedence: bulk'', ``Precedence: list'', or ``Precedence:
> junk'' line is included in the mail headers.'
>
> I note that SpamAssassin has a add_header configuration option, but
> according to Mail::SpamAssassin::Conf(3), '...All headers begin with
> "X-Spam-" (so a "header_name" Foo will generate a header called
> X-Spam-Foo).'
>
> What is the best way to configure SpamAssassin and vacation(1) to
> prevent auto-replies to messages that SpamAssassin has identified as
> spam?

I hacked vacation to recognize SpamAssassin 'yes' tags and treat
such message as 'Precedence: junk'.

#include <std_disclaimer.h>