Posted to ojb-user@db.apache.org by Ilias Lazaridis <il...@lazaridis.com> on 2004/11/15 19:18:08 UTC

[SUGGESTION] - S01 - Website.MainPage & QuickStarts

[please, if you like to comment on this, write inline within the contex]

-

The below document is a draft-version proposal for the main-page of the
OJB website.

It focuses on two points:
   - getting visitors to try it!
   - pointing out OJB's major top-level strenghts!

The suggested quick-starts would allow:
   - newcomers : to use OJB to quickly explore real JAVA OOAD
                 in conjunction with IDE's like NetBeans.
   - evaluators: to check OJB quickly without affection
                 of the running developement system

I can create those quick-start-projects. Assistance from OJB-team
needed: mostly a few answers to questions which I raise during the
creation process [within the user list].

The main goal is to make the tutorials modular (stepwise increase of
complexity), transparent (newcomer-safe, e.g. no domain-knowledge
necessary) and efficient (quick introduction).

-

[A question: is it possible to retrieve older versions of the OJB
website, e.g. to track changes?]

-

OJB
ObJectRelationalBridge - Scalable Transparent Persistence for Java Objects

OJB is easy:
   - Don't read documentations - start with trying it:

   - The OJB team cares about your time

     - 5 min: download <quick-start-package>
       - self-contained: everything needed within one folder
         - no affection on current development system
           - evaluate OJB without risk
       - run the samples and explore its sources
         - netbeans 4.0 project included
         - eclipse 3.0 project included

     - 10min: create your first real application
       - define a java class
       - declare it as persistent
       - build *everything*, including database, with a single command
         - within your IDE
         - or from the command line
       - run your first application
         - create, retrieve, update, erase objects

     - 20min: extend your first app with relations (1:1, n:1, 1:n, m:n)
       - explore real OOAD with JAVA & OJB
       - stepwise define 4 more java classes
       - attach them to the first class
       - explore incremental design capabilities of OJB
         - watch OJB's schema update mechanisms do the work for you

     - 10min: migrate you first app to another database (MySQL)
       - watch OJB's schema migration mechanisms work for you

OJB is pure:
   - pure java
   - enables pure OOAD

OJB is scalable:
   - use it withing embedded applications
   - up to enterprise scale distributed applications

OJB is powerfull:
   - fine-tune your application, with high detail grade of control
   - field proven Cache & distributed systems

OJB is flexible in RDBMS
   - HSQL (already bundled), MySQL, ...

OJB is flexible in API's [does not bind you to proprietary technology]:
- full ODMG 3.0 compliant API
   - later migration to ODMG driven OODBMS systems is possible
- full ODMG 3.0 standard OQL (Object Query Language)
   - later migration to major OODBMS systems, without change of OQL code
   - ODMG available for other OO languages, too (e.g. C++)
     - allows design of highly speed-critical code with C++/ASM bridge
   - [disclosure: <known ODMG issues and limitations>]
- full JDO 1.0 compliant API
   - later migration to JDO (RDBMS/OODBMS) systems is possible
   - based on JDO Reference Implementation
     - highest compatibility
       - [disclosure: performancy penalty of ~XX%, see performance notes]
   - native implementations sheduled for OJB 2.0
- an OTM API (ODMG / JDO common functionality)
   - if you are still undecided which one to use
- a low-level OJB API (PersistenceBroker)
   - all other api's are based on this
   - allows definition of your in-house API's
     - e.g. when creating specific Frameworks.

.

--
http://lazaridis.com

Re: [SUGGESTION] - S01 - Website.MainPage & QuickStarts

Posted by Ilias Lazaridis <il...@lazaridis.com>.
Ilias Lazaridis wrote:
> Thomas Dudziak wrote:
[...]

>>> [A question: is it possible to retrieve older versions of the OJB
>>> website, e.g. to track changes?]
>>

>> Yes, sort of. You've got to check out OJB for a particular date or use
>> one of the earlier versions (there is a link in the download area) and
>> build the documentation new ("ant docs").
>

> The website is not available within the CVS directly?
>
> Thus I can point to the websites mainpage?
>
> http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/db-ojb/

???

.

Posted by Ilias Lazaridis <il...@lazaridis.com>.
Thomas Dudziak wrote:
> Ilias Lazaridis wrote:
>
>> The below document is a draft-version proposal for the main-page of
>> the OJB website.
[...]

>> The main goal is to make the tutorials modular (stepwise increase of
>> complexity), transparent (newcomer-safe, e.g. no domain-knowledge
>> necessary) and efficient (quick introduction).
>
> We always welcome enhancements, especially when it comes to the
> documentation, so please post whatever you've got :-)

ok

> Btw, best is either textual or in the Forrest format (is really easy,
> see the OJB documentation source).

will take a look.

Posted by Thomas Dudziak <to...@first.fhg.de>.
Ilias Lazaridis wrote:

> The below document is a draft-version proposal for the main-page of the
> OJB website.
>
> It focuses on two points:
>   - getting visitors to try it!
>   - pointing out OJB's major top-level strenghts!
>
> The suggested quick-starts would allow:
>   - newcomers : to use OJB to quickly explore real JAVA OOAD
>                 in conjunction with IDE's like NetBeans.
>   - evaluators: to check OJB quickly without affection
>                 of the running developement system
>
> I can create those quick-start-projects. Assistance from OJB-team
> needed: mostly a few answers to questions which I raise during the
> creation process [within the user list].
>
> The main goal is to make the tutorials modular (stepwise increase of
> complexity), transparent (newcomer-safe, e.g. no domain-knowledge
> necessary) and efficient (quick introduction).

We always welcome enhancements, especially when it comes to the
documentation, so please post whatever you've got :-)
Btw, best is either textual or in the Forrest format (is really easy,
see the OJB documentation source).

> [A question: is it possible to retrieve older versions of the OJB
> website, e.g. to track changes?]

Yes, sort of. You've got to check out OJB for a particular date or use
one of the earlier versions (there is a link in the download area) and
build the documentation new ("ant docs").

Tom