Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net> on 2005/03/16 16:04:02 UTC

[WARNING] Big changes last night

Hi all,

Last night Enrique and I rearranged the repo to match our
vision/strategy with plugging in different protocol providers into
ApacheDS.  We will have several new protocols released in the next
couple months with release after release.  So to support this without an
explosion of the number of projects at the top level of our svn root we
rearranged how we work with protocols.

New clients and shared
-----------------------------

We created two new top level directories in our base:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/directory/clients
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/directory/shared

We broke down the old ldap directory into the shared and clients pieces
and its no longer there.  We are doing the same with Kerberos and will
continue the trend with other protocols that snap into our newtork layer.

Moved protocols to protocol-providers

Now we renamed protocols to be more descriptive.  These are not just
protocols but protocol-providers that snap into MINA.  So that's what we
named it to.  We do not want people thinking protocols can mean for
clients as well its only specific to the part that snaps into MINA.  The
other shared libs and clients can go under shared and clients respectively.

MINA is our network layer
---------------------------------

Previously mina was sitting inside the network directory at the top as
another project with apseda.  We canned apseda and made MINA the network
layer.  Basically the MINA projects trunk, branches and tags were moved
up to the network directory.

Maven groupId changes
-------------------------------

As you know we are not in the incubator anymore so we changed the name
of our group id.  Actually we broke it up a bit and may continue to do
so further.  Here are the new groupIds:

directory
directory-shared
directory-protocols
directory-asn1
directory-clients

MINA, ApacheDS are in directory.  I recommend authx and naming create
their oun groupId like directory-naming and directory-authx.  We
probably will fragement a tiny bit more but I have no clue yet and have
not given it further thought.

So this might break a few things for people.  Meaning if you are
referring to the old incubator-directory groupId.  I purposely hosed the
incubator-directory groupId to make sure people migrate to the new
groupIds.  First off I did not want them behind the times witht
snapshots going into new areas while their deps stood still in the
incubator-directory/jars area.

Big changes I know but this hopefully stabilizes us now that we are out
of the incubator.

Sorry if this causes an inconvenience to our users and everyone else.
Once out of incubation we knew we had to bite this bullet.

    -- Alex

Re: [WARNING] Big changes last night

Posted by Enrique Rodriguez <er...@apache.org>.
Alex Karasulu wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Last night Enrique and I rearranged the repo to match our
> vision/strategy with plugging in different protocol providers into
> ApacheDS.
<snip/>

> Moved protocols to protocol-providers
>
> Now we renamed protocols to be more descriptive.  These are not just
> protocols but protocol-providers that snap into MINA.  So that's what we
> named it to.  We do not want people thinking protocols can mean for
> clients as well its only specific to the part that snaps into MINA.  The
> other shared libs and clients can go under shared and clients respectively.

I'd like to point out that the protocol-providers will snap into both
MINA and the JNDI provider, like rungs in a ladder, more than just
snap-in to the MINA frontend.  The DIT can be used for persistent
config, in addition to the "user accounts" for Kerberos, records for
DNS, or regular LDAP access.

-enrique

Posted by Enrique Rodriguez <er...@apache.org>.
Alex Karasulu wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Last night Enrique and I rearranged the repo to match our
> vision/strategy with plugging in different protocol providers into
> ApacheDS.
<snip/>