Posted to dev@metron.apache.org by James Sirota <js...@hortonworks.com> on 2016/03/22 23:56:49 UTC

[VOTE] Release of Metron_0.1BETA_rc5

A tag has been created for Metron_0.1BETA_RC5

Github: https://github.com/apache/incubator-metron/releases/tag/Metron_0.1BETA_rc5
Apache: https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-metron.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/tags/Metron_0.1BETA_rc5

With a Git hash:
443ad7baa2ce5c3127a9691c7d45b7a4a92e257b

The code is staged at http://home.apache.org/~jsirota/metron/Metron_0.1BETA_RC/RC_5/

The following are instructions for verifying the build.

Step 1 – Build Metron

cd incubator-metron/metron-streaming/
mvn apache-rat:check && cd metron-streaming && mvn clean integration-test && cd ..

Verify that all tests are passing

Step 2 – Deploy metron as a single VM via vagrant and ansible

cd deployment/vagrant/singlenode-vagrant
vagrant plugin install vagrant-hostmanager
vagrant up

For a more complete set of instructions refer to:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-metron/tree/master/deployment

Verify metron is working:
- Check Ambari to make sure all the services are up by going to ambari in a browser at http://node1:8080
- Check Storm to make sure all the topologies are up
      From Ambari navigate to Storm -> Quick Links -> Storm UI
- Check that the enrichment topology has emitted some data (could take a few minutes to show up in the Storm UI)
- Check indexes to make sure indexing is done correctly and data is visualized in Kibana in a browser at http://node1:5000
- Check that some data is written into HDFS for at least one of the data sources
      Look in HDFS under /apps/metron/enrichment/indexed/yaf_doc|bro_doc|snort_doc
      This can be done from the browser by going to http://node:50070/explorer.html#/apps/metron/enrichment/indexed

Step 3 (optional) – Verify AWS Multi-Node Deploy with Ansible
cd deployment/amazon-ec2
ansible-playbook -i ec2.py playbook.yml

For a more complete set of instructions refer to:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-metron/tree/master/deployment

To verify the working build go through the same verifications as in Step2, but on AWS.  Reference playbook.yml for location of the services.
Ambari-master contains Ambari, web contains Kibana and sensors.

Please vote +1 if you approve and –1 if you do not approve.  Also, please indicate if your
vote is binding

Re: [VOTE] Release of Metron_0.1BETA_rc5

Posted by David Lyle <dl...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non-binding) to release.

Ran both singlenode vagrant and ec2.

I did notice the following:

pycapa needs to be restarted after initial startup- it seems to be timing
out on initial startup. On restart it stays up.

Here's the stack trace:

WARNING: No route found for IPv6 destination :: (no default route?)

No handlers could be found for logger "kafka"

Traceback (most recent call last):

  File "/usr/local/pycapa/pycapa/pycapa_cli.py", line 96, in <module>

    main()

  File "/usr/local/pycapa/pycapa/pycapa_cli.py", line 93, in main

    sniff(iface=args.interface, store=0, prn=produce_callback)

  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/scapy/sendrecv.py", line 595, in
sniff

    r = prn(p)

  File "/usr/local/pycapa/pycapa/pycapa_cli.py", line 51, in
produce_callback

    res = producer.send(topic, packet_count, msg)

  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/kafka/producer.py", line 311, in
send

    return self.send_messages(topic, partition, msg)

  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/kafka/producer.py", line 188, in
send_messages

    timeout=self.ack_timeout)

  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/kafka/client.py", line 312, in
send_produce_request

    resps = self._send_broker_aware_request(payloads, encoder, decoder)

  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/kafka/client.py", line 179, in
_send_broker_aware_request

    raise FailedPayloadsError(failed_payloads)

kafka.common.FailedPayloadsError: [ProduceRequest(topic='pcap',
partition=0, messages=[Message(magic=0, attributes=0, key=None,
value='\xd4\xc3\xb2\xa1\x02\x00\x04\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\xff\xff\x00\x00\x01\x00\x00\x00\xb4x\xf2V\x97$\x07\x00\x89\x00\x00\x00\x89\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x08\x00E\x00\x00{\x08\xc2\x00\x00\x80\x11\x9b\xbe\xc0\xa8\x8a\x9e\xc0\xa8\x8a\x02\xea\xae\x005\x00g\xf8\tG\xae\x01\x00\x00\x01\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x06va872g\x06g90e1h\x02b8\x07642b63u\x06j985a2\x04v33e\x0237\x07pa269cc\x0ce8mfzdgrf7g0\rgroupprograms\x02in\x00\x00\x01\x00\x01')])]

Posted by Hakkı Hakan Akansel <ha...@gmail.com>.
All components works well, however if you restart the single-node local
machine, all services are stopped and you should start these services.

--

*Hakki Hakan Akansel*
*Eskisehir Osmangazi Üniversitesi*

Re: [VOTE] Release of Metron_0.1BETA_rc5

Posted by Nick Allen <ni...@nickallen.org>.
+1 (non-binding)

--
Nick Allen <ni...@nickallen.org>

Re: [VOTE] Release of Metron_0.1BETA_rc5

Posted by James Sirota <js...@hortonworks.com>.
+1 (Binding)

I verified the release and everything works

Thanks,
James

Posted by "P. Taylor Goetz" <pt...@gmail.com>.
Hi James,

Thanks for pointing that out, I missed that because it’s common practice to explicitly point to the release artifacts.

Here’s a template I use for release votes:
This is a call to vote on releasing Apache $PROJECT $VERSION

Full list of changes in this release:

[Link to CHANGELOG]

The tag/commit to be voted upon is $GIT_TAG_NAME:

[Link to commit SHA on git-wip-us.apache.org]

The source archive being voted upon can be found here:

[Link to source tarball on dist.apache.org]

Other release files, signatures and digests can be found here:

[Link to release dir on dist.apache.org]

The release artifacts are signed with the following key:

[Link to KEYS file on git-wip-us.apache.org]

The Nexus staging repository for this release is:

[Link to staging repo on repository.apache.org]

Please vote on releasing this package as $PROJECT $VERSION.

When voting, please list the actions taken to verify the release.

[ ] +1 Release this package as $PROJECT $VERSION
[ ]  0 No opinion

Getting IPMC members to vote on a release is notoriously hard. The idea behind the template is to make it as easy as possible for IPMC members to verify a release.

Note that hosting the release artifacts on home.apache.org <http://home.apache.org/> is now discouraged (someone will almost certainly bring this up in the IPMC vote). They should be hosted on dist.apache.org. You can stage them there by committing them to subversion at the following URL:

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/metron <https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/metron>

(You will need to `svn mkdir metron` since it doesn’t exist yet.)

Another nit that may come up is the naming of the release. The preferred naming would be “apache-metron-incubating” or “metron-incubating”.

If you can address some of these points you will probably have a better chance of having a release approved by the IPMC.

-Taylor

Posted by "P. Taylor Goetz" <pt...@gmail.com>.

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html <http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html>

Posted by "P. Taylor Goetz" <pt...@gmail.com>.
For minified JavaScript or even things like images that can’t have license headers, you can put the license information in your LICENSE file.

Here’s a snippet from Storm’s LICENSE file for an image:

For statistic image:

./storm-core/src/ui/public/images/statistic.png

Copyright (c) 2015 Github, Inc.

Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy
of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal
in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights
to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell
copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is
furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:

The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in
all copies or substantial portions of the Software.

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR
IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY,
FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.  IN NO EVENT SHALL THE
AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER
LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM,
OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN
THE SOFTWARE.

-Taylor

Posted by Casey Stella <ce...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Taylor,

Posted by "P. Taylor Goetz" <pt...@gmail.com>.

[1] http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html <http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html>
[2] http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#mod-notice <http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#mod-notice>

Posted by Casey Stella <ce...@gmail.com>.
+1, non-binding

Posted by Billie Rinaldi <bi...@apache.org>.
It's optional. Here are the instructions for publishing maven artifacts:
http://www.apache.org/dev/publishing-maven-artifacts.html

Posted by Casey Stella <ce...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "P. Taylor Goetz" <pt...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Casey Stella <ce...@gmail.com>.
Ok, I created a PR <https://github.com/apache/incubator-metron/pull/64>
with the changes mentioned in this thread:

   - Removed extraneous LICENSE files and COPYING files
   - Fixed the verbiage for the cisco contribution in the LICENSE file
   - Added link to the license files for the 3rd party bundled components
   under metron-ui/lib/public/vendor in the LICENSE file
   - Added inline licenses in the LICENSE file for the
      - fontawesome fonts
      - effective_tld_names.dat data file
      - bundled portions of kibana (where you saw the app.js without the
      header file)

We will exclude the site in the bundle for the next RC, which should happen
tomorrow.

Posted by Casey Stella <ce...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "P. Taylor Goetz" <pt...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Billie Rinaldi <bi...@apache.org>.

Posted by "P. Taylor Goetz" <pt...@gmail.com>.
Those .dat files are under the Mozilla Public License v. 2.0.

So to comply you can point to the files (the way I pointed out earlier in the thread) in the LICENSE file and add the following text:

This Source Code Form is subject to the terms of the Mozilla Public License, v. 2.0. If a copy of the MPL was not distributed with this file, You can obtain one at https://mozilla.org/MPL/2.0/.

See Appendix A here [1], and the Legal Discuss JIRA here [2]. The MPL [1] explicitly states that putting the notice the LICENSE file is okay.

-Taylor

[1] https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/MPL/2.0/ <https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/MPL/2.0/>
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-77

Posted by Casey Stella <ce...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Billie Rinaldi <bi...@apache.org>.

Posted by George Vetticaden <gv...@hortonworks.com>.
+ 1 (binding) to release
I have verified the following:

1. Was able to build metron successfully
2. Successfully deployed Single Node Vagrant Setup
2. Successfully deployed 10 Node Install of Metron using AWS Ansible
Playbook

--
George VetticadenPrincipal, COE
gvetticaden@hortonworks.com

Posted by James Sirota <js...@hortonworks.com>.
Small correction on the validation instructions.  For Step 1, execute the mvn command from incubator-metron/ and not incubator-metron/metron-streaming/