Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by "David W. Van Couvering" <Da...@Sun.COM> on 2006/01/06 22:46:40 UTC

Submitting shared i18n/error code separate from classloader work

There are a number of folks who have mentioned they are depending on the
code sharing framework to move forward with their work.  In particular
the JDBC 4 exception subclass work depends on the exception framework I
put together for client exceptions.  Also, Francois' encryption work
includes shared code and he is waiting on the framework as well.

The classloader work I am doing to avoid code shadowing bugs in a mixed
version environment is going well, most tests are passing but there are
still some corner cases I have to work out.  I am thinking a week before
I submit a patch, and then I expect (and rightly so) that this will go
through a few weeks of review.

I was wondering if in the meantime I can unblock those who are waiting
for me by checking in the code sharing framework *without* the
classloader work.  This would be with the solemn promise to submit the
classloader work soon thereafter, and definitely before the next patch.

If for some sad reason the classloader stuff gets a -1, we can revert to
the somewhat more ungainly feature-management functionality I had
submitted a month ago and which looked like it was moving towards
acceptance.  If that doesn't pass muster, we can revert to generating
copies of the shared code with separate package names for each jar file
(as Kathey suggested).  So I think regardless of what choice we make
there, the shared code can still be written and placed under the
org.apache.derby.shared package hierarchy.  All that would change would
be how this shared code would ultimately be packaged into jar files.

Is this acceptable?  If so I'll go ahead and clean up the i18n and
error-handling shared code and get it submitted so folks can move forward.

Thanks,

David

Re: Submitting shared i18n/error code separate from classloader work

Posted by Francois Orsini <fr...@gmail.com>.
Hi David,

Am not blocked by the code sharing framework at the moment - the few
candidate classes that were shareable can just be duplicated between the
client and the engine for now and I will revisit them (to be shared) when
the code sharing infrastructure is there.

Thanks,

--francois

Posted by "David W. Van Couvering" <Da...@Sun.COM>.
Hi, Dan.  This looks very appealing.  The one area I'm a little
uncertain about is with the messages that are common across client and
server.  If the engine code doesn't use the shared mechanism to load
messages (where the algorithm is look in the shared message bundle
first, then look in your local message bundle), then these messages will
be duplicated between engine and client (sharing the same SQL State).

Alternately I could duplicate the code to look in the shared area first,
but if anything that seems worse.

I guess copying messages (IMHO temporarily) isn't too bad, especially if
they're old, established messages.  Any comments?

David

Posted by Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net>.
David W. Van Couvering wrote:

> I was wondering if in the meantime I can unblock those who are waiting
> for me by checking in the code sharing framework *without* the
> classloader work.  This would be with the solemn promise to submit the
> classloader work soon thereafter, and definitely before the next patch.

I am not comfortable having a regression like that committed, especially
one that has been so tricky  to fix.
For things that need to go in now,  I prefer the duplicate now and
cleanup later method that Francois suggests.

New year, old topic, same position.

Kathey