Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Erik Hatcher <ja...@ehatchersolutions.com> on 2001/12/01 03:08:32 UTC

Manifest Created-By - interesting jGuru question

Usually I tackle all the jGuru questions myself, but this one seemed
interesting enough to cross-post over here:

    http://www.jguru.com/forums/view.jsp?EID=568077

Anyone want to respond to that one either directly at jGuru or here?

Thanks,
    Erik

Re: Manifest Created-By - interesting jGuru question

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 4 Dec 2001 00:14, Erik Hatcher wrote:
> [...]

A self compiled, hacked together using spit and gaffer tape version of
konquror (K Desktops browser). So probably no need to inform the jGuru people
just yet ;)

--
Cheers,

Pete

Re: Manifest Created-By - interesting jGuru question

Posted by Erik Hatcher <ja...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
On Sat, 1 Dec 2001 13:08, Erik Hatcher wrote:
> Usually I tackle all the jGuru questions myself, but this one seemed
> interesting enough to cross-post over here:
>
>     http://www.jguru.com/forums/view.jsp?EID=568077
>
> Anyone want to respond to that one either directly at jGuru or here?

My browser doesn't seem to like the jGuru site ... really got to update
sometime soon. However my response would be;

"Manifest-Version:" defines the version of the the manifest format.

While the specs do indicate that "Created-By:" should define vendor and
version of JDK created using this is only because the writers of the spec
never invisioned that jars would be created by tools not part of jdk. Because
all jdks have a jar tool giving JVM version + vendor is enough to identify
the tool that created the jar. As ant has it's own jar implementation which
is not tied to any particular tools the "Created-By:" needs to use some other
information to identify the tool that created the jar - in our case I believe
it is something like "Created-By: Ant 1.4.1" or similar ?