Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Brett Porter <bp...@f2network.com.au> on 2003/09/08 00:23:58 UTC

RE: clarify plugin version loading

> AD 2 & 3
>
> We can easily use information which we have in POM:
>
> <versions>
>     <version>
>       <id>b1</id>
>       <name>1.0-b1</name>
>       <tag>MAVEN_1_0_B1</tag>
>     </version>
>     <version>
>       <id>b2</id>
>       <name>1.0-b2</name>
>       <tag>MAVEN_1_0_B2</tag>
>     </version>
>     <version>
>       <id>b3</id>
>       <name>1.0-b3</name>
>       <tag>MAVEN_1_0_B3</tag>
>     </version>
>     <version>
>       <id>b4</id>
>       <name>1.0-b4</name>
>       <tag>MAVEN_1_0_B4</tag>
>     </version>
>   <versions>
>
> verion 1.0-b3 is "below" 1.0-b2 so it is higher version.

I tend to do them in the reverse order :)

I don't know whether this will work out though - that means opening the
plugins, getting the project (or locating it elsewhere), and figuring out
which is newer. You could just as easily say the one with more versions too.

If we were going to do that I think I'd rather have a last release date in
the POM.

- Brett

RE: clarify plugin version loading

Posted by Michal Maczka <mm...@raay-cqs.com>.

If you keep versions in reverse order it means that docs for this part
of the POM are not good enough! There should be only one way of doing
that!

> I don't know whether this will work out though - that means opening
the
> plugins, getting the project (or locating it elsewhere), and figuring
> out
> which is newer.
>You could just as easily say the one with more versions
> too.
>
> If we were going to do that I think I'd rather have a last release
date
> in
> the POM.

Well this is just an idea at the moment. At least I am sure that POM
holds enough data for comparing and ordering different versions of
artifacts. Implementation of "version comparator" seems to be quite easy
too.
What about adding <versions> section as required in POM for uploading
artifact to ibiblio?

regards

Michal