Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Jeff Turner <je...@socialchange.net.au> on 2001/10/13 14:17:27 UTC

Which Ant version?

Hi,

The Ant in CVS is 1.5alpha, from Sept 17th. It includes support for the unified
"file" attribute, replacing "zipfile", "warfile", "tarfile", etc. This has been
used in files like apps/demos/build.xml

<zip file="${dist.base}/${dist.name}-bin.zip"
..

So I have two questions:

1) Are we going to continue to use unreleased 1.5 features, or standardize on 1.4.1?
2) If we standardize on 1.4.1, do we keep it in CVS or get users to download it?

My personal preferences:

1) Standardize on 1.4.1, since:
 - there's nothing in 1.5 we particularly need (I think?)
 - *.sh and *.bat files are another point of failure (DOS linefeeds, etc),
   limit building to specific platforms, and are not usable for projects within
   cornerstone's burgeoning apps/ directory.

2) Get users to download it. Avalon's target audience is "developers". By now,
   I'd hope that most developers have Ant installed.

That would also get us off Sam Ruby's Gump whinge list:

  "Despite the relatively recent release of Ant, most Avalon projects will not
  build with that version of Ant.  They require a small but important change in
  the jar task.  Of course, they build with the version of Ant checked into
  their respective cvs's, but the question is: do we really want or need a
  separate version of Ant for every component?"

   -- http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=jakarta-general&m=100082273102665&w=2

--Jeff

Re: Which Ant version?

Posted by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org>.
On Sat, 13 Oct 2001 22:17, Jeff Turner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The Ant in CVS is 1.5alpha, from Sept 17th. It includes support for the
> unified "file" attribute, replacing "zipfile", "warfile", "tarfile", etc.
> This has been used in files like apps/demos/build.xml

yep - I use the avalon projects amongs others as my testcase for ant to see
if I brake stuff ;)

> 1) Are we going to continue to use unreleased 1.5 features, or standardize
> on 1.4.1? 2) If we standardize on 1.4.1, do we keep it in CVS or get users
> to download it?

We can goto 1.4.1 because it fixed the bug that stopped us using 1.4.

> 1) Standardize on 1.4.1, since:
>  - there's nothing in 1.5 we particularly need (I think?)

The only thing being nicer help descriptions when you go -projecthelp but we
don't need that.

> 2) Get users to download it. Avalon's target audience is "developers". By
> now, I'd hope that most developers have Ant installed.

Now that ant doesn't need ANT_HOME (except on win9x) and we shouldn't need to
use any non-released features of ant I don't think. So I guess this would be
doable.

--
Cheers,

Pete

Re: Which Ant version?

Posted by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org>.
Hi,

I just updated the Sar task and all the files should now work with ant 1.4.1
I think ;)

--
Cheers,

Pete