Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Rob Hartill <ro...@imdb.com> on 1996/05/05 22:10:59 UTC

Apache + Proxy: Bug Report (fwd)

not acked.

We probably need a entry on the bug report page for proxy bugs. I
can't answer them so they're all going to bounce to this list unless
someone volunteers to be the proxy guru.

Date: Sun, 05 May 1996 14:37:41 -0500
To: ben@algroup.co.uk, apache-bugs@apache.org
From: Giles Francis Hall <gh...@phair.latin.pvt.k12.il.us>
Subject: Apache + Proxy: Bug Report

Hello! ... I have been fooling around with Apache 1.1b2 and the Proxy module
and haven't had a whole lot of success.  It used to be that everything that
I tried to request wouldn't come through (Netscape would report "Document
contains no data." ... Well, by the bye, I found a few pages that would
actually work.

Here is an example of a page that works:
[root@phair logs]# telnet localhost 8080
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
GET http://info.cern.ch/httpd_3.0 HTTP/1.0

HTTP/1.0 200 Document follows
Date: Sun, 05 May 1996 20:26:36 GMT

<head>
<title>Error: Old host name in URL</title>
</head>
[...Snip...]

Here is an example that bombs (Notice that I tail -f the error log file
-while- I make the request):

[root@phair logs]# date
Sun May  5 13:27:01 CDT 1996
[root@phair logs]# tail -1 -f error_log &
[3] 1136
[root@phair logs]# [Sun May  5 13:26:55 1996] httpd: caught SIGSEGV, dumping
core
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
GET http://www.mcs.net HTTP/1.0

Connection closed by foreign host.
[root@phair logs]# [Sun May  5 13:27:11 1996] httpd: caught SIGSEGV, dumping
core

And my error_log file is -filled- with these "httpd: caught SIGSEGV, dumping
core" messages from my testing.  I don't know why one URL makes it work and
why the other doesn't...

Anyways, I am running Linux, kernel 1.3.98 (I have seen this exact behavior
under kernel 1.3.97 also).  There is nothing too special with my box...  I
am running no other extra modules except for the default modules in the
Configuration.tmpl and the Proxy module.  But, I would be glad to answer
other questions if you may have them!  Also, tell me if you would like the
core file!

Thanks,

Giles Francis Hall, High School Senior
Latin School of Chicago, Class of 1996