Posted to log4cxx-user@logging.apache.org by Pedro Monjo Florit <pe...@futurlink.com> on 2005/06/15 11:54:19 UTC

Installation

Hi everybody,

I have succesfully compiled log4cxx CVS HEAD, using the ant build
system. The next problem I am facing is installation. With version
0.9.7, there was the traditional *nix method of "configure", "make" and
"make install", so it was fairly easy to install everything and even
create RPM packages (I am using SuSE Linux). Since this method is
deprecated in 0.9.8 and, in fact, does not work, how do I install the
whole log4cxx once it is compiled? Is there an easy way to create RPM?

Thanks,

Pedro Monjo

Re: Installation

Posted by Pedro Monjo Florit <pe...@futurlink.com>.
Hi Andreas,

>> I have succesfully compiled log4cxx CVS HEAD, using the ant build
>> system. The next problem I am facing is installation. With version
>> 0.9.7, there was the traditional *nix method of "configure", "make"
>> and "make install", so it was fairly easy to install everything and even
>
> This should still work with 0.9.8, even though there are currently some
> issues which are being worked on.
>
> If you are interested: I have set up the creation of a daily dist
> tarball at
>
> http://littletux.homelinux.org/log4cxx/
>
> It is identical to the CVS head, but contains some patches which have
> not been committed yet (basically regarding the configuration of
> logchar). Using the package provided at the above link, you should be
> able to use ./configure ; make ; make install
> Simply make sure that the APR and APR-UTIL libraries can be found,
> possibly by passing the appropriate --with-apr=PATH parameters to
> configure.
>
> Also, I compiled the package yesterday and found an issue when using the
> default value UTF8 for logchar; I had to use --with-logchar=WCHAR
> to successfully build everything.
>
>> create RPM packages (I am using SuSE Linux). Since this method is
>> deprecated in 0.9.8 and, in fact, does not work, how do I install the
>> whole log4cxx once it is compiled? Is there an easy way to create RPM?

Thank you very much for your help. I have been able, finally, to compile
using configure && make. I have even created RPMs for SuSE 9.2.

Just for the record, I will explain how I did it, in case anybody else
has the same problem. Keep in mind that this is only for SuSE 9.2.

1. Install libapr1 and libapr-util1 from
ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/projects/apache/, both runtime and development
packages.

2. From YaST, install cppunit, cppunit-devel, openldap-devel and db-devel.

3. Execute configure with the following parameters:

$ ./configure --with-apr=/usr/bin/apr-1-config
--with-apr-util=/usr/bin/apu-1-config --with-logchar=WCHAR

4. Finally, "make && make install"

By the way, why does "apu-1-config --libs" return that ldap and db-4.2
are needed?

Regards,

Pedro

Re: Installation

Posted by Andreas Fester <An...@gmx.de>.
Hi Pedro,

Pedro Monjo Florit wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I have succesfully compiled log4cxx CVS HEAD, using the ant build
> system. The next problem I am facing is installation. With version
> 0.9.7, there was the traditional *nix method of "configure", "make" and
> "make install", so it was fairly easy to install everything and even

This should still work with 0.9.8, even though there are currently some
issues which are being worked on.

If you are interested: I have set up the creation of a daily dist
tarball at

http://littletux.homelinux.org/log4cxx/

It is identical to the CVS head, but contains some patches which have
not been committed yet (basically regarding the configuration of
logchar). Using the package provided at the above link, you should be
able to use ./configure ; make ; make install
Simply make sure that the APR and APR-UTIL libraries can be found,
possibly by passing the appropriate --with-apr=PATH parameters to
configure.

Also, I compiled the package yesterday and found an issue when using the
default value UTF8 for logchar; I had to use --with-logchar=WCHAR
to successfully build everything.

> create RPM packages (I am using SuSE Linux). Since this method is
> deprecated in 0.9.8 and, in fact, does not work, how do I install the
> whole log4cxx once it is compiled? Is there an easy way to create RPM?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Pedro Monjo

Regards,

	Andreas