Posted to alexandria-dev@jakarta.apache.org by James Taylor <jt...@4lane.com> on 2002/04/04 21:40:48 UTC

Turbine, JGen, and FOP

Howdy,

I'm not all that familiar with GUMP so bear with me. jakarta-turbine-3
now requires jgen (a flash content generator for which I am a project
admin), which in turn requires fop (jgen implements a fop renderer for
creating SWF from XSL:FO).

The FO support in jgen is built against fop 0.20, the last 'stable'
release of fop. Currently the HEAD branch of xml-fop is undergoing a
major rewrite which breaks compatibility. Until the rewrite stabilizes
and produces a release, I do not want to update jgen for the new code
(we tend to release more often then fop, so that would be a big
mistake).

So... what do I need to do to have gump build jgen against a specific
release of fop, either by using the fop jar included in jgen's
repository or by building against a specific branch of xml-fop
(fop-0_20_2-maintain is where the stable fop is currently maintained).

Thanks, I'm looking forward to having GUMP build turbine-3 once again =]

-- jt

Re: Turbine, JGen, and FOP

Posted by James Taylor <jt...@4lane.com>.
What is a stupid idea? Doing a major rewrite which breaks compatibility
in HEAD or having my project only be compatible with the stable version.
If the former, unfortunately I have no control over what the xml-fop
developers are doing, all I'm trying to do is cope with it.

If the later, I have no choice since jgen cannot be compatible with both
and I am not willing to move to compatibility with xml-fop HEAD since it
does not even work yet.

So, if gump will not let me build against any version of xml-fop other
than its current HEAD, what are my other options?

Thanks,
James

Re: Turbine, JGen, and FOP

Posted by Jon Scott Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.