Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Dubbs <du...@cfl.rr.com> on 2002/06/08 00:18:14 UTC

Roles...

in ./conf/tomcat-users.xml there are the role1 and tomcat roles...what are those two roles...also the users tomcat, role1 and both...can they be removed or are they necessary...also, is there a how-to or doc for the Web-based admin tool? or do I just need to research the features independently?

-Dubbs

RE: web.xml DTD

Posted by Bo Min Jiang <bj...@cambian.com>.
Actually, you can find the DTD at http://java.sun.com/dtd/.  The file is
web-app_2_3.dtd

Also, I've found that the order of the elements does matter - on Tomcat
4.0.3, I have encountered startup errors when some elements were out of
order, e.g. placing <welcome-file-list> before <servlet>.

Bo

Posted by Guillaume de Roujoux <gd...@kaidarausa.com>.

Re: web.xml DTD

Posted by August Detlefsen <au...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks Craig, the DTD from servlet.jar was just what I needed.

-August

Re: web.xml DTD

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Fri, 7 Jun 2002, August Detlefsen wrote:

> Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2002 16:54:28 -0700 (PDT)
> From: August Detlefsen <au...@yahoo.com>
> To: Tomcat Users List <to...@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: web.xml DTD
>
> Where can I find the DTD for web.xml? I want to make sure I have the
> elements in the correct order.

It is in the servlet specification, which you can download from:

  http://java.sun.com/products/servlet/download.html

You can also extract the DTDs that Tomcat uses from the servlet.jar file
that is in the "common/lib" subdirectory -- it looks at these internal
copies so that DTD validation can occur even if your server is not
connected to the Internet.

> Thanks,
> August

Craig

web.xml DTD

Re: Roles...

Posted by Guillaume de Roujoux <gd...@kaidarausa.com>.
I just installed tomcat 4.0.3, and it seems that what used to be called
webapps\admin is now called webapps\manager, maybe this explains the problem
you are having with "manager"

Guillaume

Re: Roles...

Posted by Guillaume de Roujoux <gd...@kaidarausa.com>.
Here is my ./conf/tomcat-users.xml
loging with admin/admintomcat, I can shutdown and restart webapps on the fly

<tomcat-users>
  <user name="tomcat" password="tomcat" roles="tomcat" />
  <user name="role1"  password="tomcat" roles="role1"  />
  <user name="both"   password="tomcat" roles="tomcat,role1" />
  <user name="admin"   password="admintomcat" roles="admin" />
</tomcat-users>