Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com> on 2008/02/25 10:52:09 UTC

Launchpad Quo Vadis

Hi all,

By implementing SLING-268 [1] the launchpad-servlets module is broken up
into the sling/servlets-default and sling/ujax modules, leaving just the
launchpad-content and launchpad-webapp modules in launchpad. In
addition, there are the launcher modules app and webapp.

The next then will be to merge the launcher modules into the launchpad
folder. Doing this I imagine, there will be the following modules in the
launchpad folder:

    app     - Standalone launchpad application
    webapp  - Launchpad Web Application
              (renamed from launchpad-webapp)
    content - Initial Launchpad content

The app and webapp modules will have three build profiles:

    bare      - (default) Launcher only (OSGi framework; Log,
                    HttpService and Sling Console bundles)
    full      - Same as "bare" plus all bundles required for
                    a productive Sling system
    launchpad - Same as "full" plus launchpad/content,
                    samples and documentation

The difference between "full" and "launchpad" is, that full may be used
as the basis for any productive system without the payload of
demonstration, educational and documentation bundles. The "launchpad"
build is targeted at the "getting-to-know" audience and will include
these
demonstration, educational and documentation bundles.

Talking about "demonstration, educational and documentation" bundles,
what will these be ? These are the (current) sling/sample and
launchpad/content bundles. In addition we could also define a bundle,
which contains the sling site as well as JavaDoc and Code XRef
accessible through sling - sort of like a default Apache Httpd
installation also containing documentation.

WDYT ?

Regards
Felix

[1] http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SLING-268

Re: Launchpad Quo Vadis

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Felix Meschberger wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> By implementing SLING-268 [1] the launchpad-servlets module is broken up
> into the sling/servlets-default and sling/ujax modules, leaving just the
> launchpad-content and launchpad-webapp modules in launchpad. In
> addition, there are the launcher modules app and webapp.
>
> The next then will be to merge the launcher modules into the launchpad
> folder. Doing this I imagine, there will be the following modules in the
> launchpad folder:
>
>     app     - Standalone launchpad application
>     webapp  - Launchpad Web Application
>               (renamed from launchpad-webapp)
>     content - Initial Launchpad content

+1

> The app and webapp modules will have three build profiles:
>
>     bare      - (default) Launcher only (OSGi framework; Log,
>                     HttpService and Sling Console bundles)
>     full      - Same as "bare" plus all bundles required for
>                     a productive Sling system
>     launchpad - Same as "full" plus launchpad/content,
>                     samples and documentation

Do we really need these three profiles? I'm not sure if people who are
building productive systems on top of sling will be using the launchpad
as a base. I think bare is not really needed either (it's nice to have
but not really required), so I think one profile "launchpad" is enough :)
But I'm fine with more than one profile as well if you think that it is
useful.

Carsten

--
Carsten Ziegeler
cziegeler@apache.org

Re: Launchpad Quo Vadis

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi Felix,

On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 10:52 AM, Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...I imagine, there will be the following modules in the
>  launchpad folder:
>
>     app     - Standalone launchpad application
>     webapp  - Launchpad Web Application
>               (renamed from launchpad-webapp)
>     content - Initial Launchpad content

ok

> ... The app and webapp modules will have three build profiles:
>
>     bare      - (default) Launcher only (OSGi framework; Log,
>                     HttpService and Sling Console bundles)
>     full      - Same as "bare" plus all bundles required for
>                     a productive Sling system
>     launchpad - Same as "full" plus launchpad/content,
>                     samples and documentation

Agree about this, but could we make "launchpad" the default instead?

In the sense of offering an easy path to get started - "bare" is
obviously for people who know more about Sling than "launchpad" users.

> ... The difference between "full" and "launchpad" is, that full may be used
>  as the basis for any productive system without the payload of
>  demonstration, educational and documentation bundles. The "launchpad"
>  build is targeted at the "getting-to-know" audience and will include
>  these
>  demonstration, educational and documentation bundles....

ok

> ... Talking about "demonstration, educational and documentation" bundles,
>  what will these be ? These are the (current) sling/sample and
>  launchpad/content bundles. In addition we could also define a bundle,
>  which contains the sling site as well as JavaDoc and Code XRef
>  accessible through sling - sort of like a default Apache Httpd
>  installation also containing documentation...

Agreed  - I'm going to work on more "developing with Sling" docs
examples in the next few weeks, mostly targeted at working with
server-side and client-side javascript to develop for Sling.

My idea currently is to put that content in the launchpad-content
module, but we can always make that more modular later on if needed,
that is if we find out that launchpad-content contains too many
things.

-Bertrand