Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Debraj Manna <su...@gmail.com> on 2019/08/26 12:05:13 UTC

StatusLogger Multiple logging implementations found

In an application using log4j with slf4j, I am trying to use a dependency
(elasticsearch in this) which depends on log4j2.

The application's logging dependency looks like this-

<dependency>
    <groupId>org.elasticsearch</groupId>
    <artifactId>elasticsearch</artifactId>
    <version>5.6.16</version>
</dependency>
<dependency>
    <groupId>org.elasticsearch.client</groupId>
    <artifactId>transport</artifactId>
    <version>5.6.16</version>
</dependency>
<dependency>
    <groupId>org.apache.logging.log4j</groupId>
    <artifactId>log4j-to-slf4j</artifactId>
    <version>2.11.1</version>
</dependency>

The application is using its own log4j.xml and has some custom
appenders of log4j so it cannot be migrated to log4j2 without
rewriting the appenders.

Added the below dependencies as suggested in elasticsearch
documentation <https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/client/java-api/current/_using_another_logger.html>
for using a different logger other than log4j2.

<dependency>
    <groupId>org.apache.logging.log4j</groupId>
    <artifactId>log4j-to-slf4j</artifactId>
    <version>2.11.1</version>
</dependency>

But now on starting the application, I am seeing some warnings like below

DEBUG StatusLogger org.slf4j.helpers.Log4jLoggerFactory is not on
classpath. Good!
DEBUG StatusLogger Using ShutdownCallbackRegistry class
org.apache.logging.log4j.core.util.DefaultShutdownCallbackRegistry
WARN StatusLogger Multiple logging implementations found:
Factory: org.apache.logging.log4j.core.impl.Log4jContextFactory, Weighting: 10
Factory: org.apache.logging.slf4j.SLF4JLoggerContextFactory, Weighting: 15
Using factory: org.apache.logging.slf4j.SLF4JLoggerContextFactory

Can someone let me know what does this warning denote? How can I remove it?

Re: StatusLogger Multiple logging implementations found

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
I think what you are trying to say is
1. Your app needs to use Log4J 1.x.
2. You are trying to include something that is using the Log4J 2 api.

The problem you are encountering is that you have provided 2 implementations of the Log4J api - log4j-to-slf4j and log4j-core. You can only have one of them. You need to exclude the Log4J core jar from whatever is declaring it as a dependency.

On another note, converting Log4J 1 appenders to Log4J 2 isn’t particularly hard. Log4J 1 hasn’t been maintained in many years and was declared end-of-life 4 years ago.

Ralph