Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by "Zheng, Kai" <ka...@intel.com> on 2012/09/07 11:20:53 UTC

Why newly created file is of supergroup as the file ownership group ?

1.       As follows, the initial ownership group is supergroup, instead of any group of the operation user.

[zk@hadoop-nn ~]$ whoami

zk

[zk@hadoop-nn ~]$ id -Gn

zk ldapgroup

[zk@hadoop-nn ~]$ echo "test hadoop cluster" > hadoop-test

[zk@hadoop-nn ~]$ ls -l hadoop-test

-rw-rw-r--. 1 zk zk 20 Sep  7 04:33 hadoop-test

[zk@hadoop-nn ~]$ hadoop dfs -copyFromLocal hadoop-test /usr/hadoop/tmp/zk/

[zk@hadoop-nn ~]$ hadoop dfs -lsr /usr/hadoop/tmp/zk/

-rw-r--r--   1 zk supergroup         20 2012-09-07 04:33 /usr/hadoop/tmp/zk/hadoop-test

Relevant hadoop configurations are below.

hadoop.security.authentication --> Kerberos

dfs.permissions --> true

hadoop.security.authorization --> true

2.       Looking at the codes, found the behavior is intended.
In 1.0.3, in NameNode.java,

  /** {@inheritDoc} */
  public void create(String src,
                     FsPermission masked,
                             ...) throws IOException {
    namesystem.startFile(src,
        new PermissionStatus(UserGroupInformation.getCurrentUser().getShortUserName(),
            null, masked),
        clientName, clientMachine, overwrite, createParent, replication, blockSize);
..
  }

In hadoop trunk,

  @Override // ClientProtocol
  public void create(String src,
                     FsPermission masked,
                     String clientName,
                     ...) throws IOException {
    namesystem.startFile(src,
        new PermissionStatus(UserGroupInformation.getCurrentUser().getShortUserName(),
            null, masked),
        clientName, clientMachine, flag.get(), createParent, replication, blockSize);
  }

We can see that null value as the group parameter is given for PermissionStatus(String user, String group, FsPermission permission).

3.       So the question is, why Hadoop intends for that, using the default value 'supergroup' as the initial ownership group for newly created files?
If so, how fs permission checker checks permission against the file group? I guess it's not so relevant then.

I'm learning Hadoop, and everything is new and interested. Thanks for answers, corrections, and anything.

Kai

RE: Why newly created file is of supergroup as the file ownership group ?

Posted by "Zheng, Kai" <ka...@intel.com>.
Thank you Harsh!  Seems that I should have read the official docs more carefully.

we have this behavior mentioned "When a file or directory is created, its owner is the user identity of the client process, and its group is the group of the parent directory (the BSD rule).".

--
Harsh J

RE: Why newly created file is of supergroup as the file ownership group ?

Posted by "Zheng, Kai" <ka...@intel.com>.

--
Harsh J

RE: Why newly created file is of supergroup as the file ownership group ?

Posted by "Zheng, Kai" <ka...@intel.com>.

--
Harsh J

RE: Why newly created file is of supergroup as the file ownership group ?

Posted by "Zheng, Kai" <ka...@intel.com>.

--
Harsh J

Re: Why newly created file is of supergroup as the file ownership group ?

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--
Harsh J

Re: Why newly created file is of supergroup as the file ownership group ?

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--
Harsh J

Re: Why newly created file is of supergroup as the file ownership group ?

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--
Harsh J

Re: Why newly created file is of supergroup as the file ownership group ?

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--
Harsh J