Posted to -deprecated@jakarta.apache.org by Sam Ruby <ru...@us.ibm.com> on 2001/02/26 16:17:43 UTC

Re: [C2] build problem with servlet 2.3

Potential candidate catalog/repository item...

- Sam Ruby
---------------------- Forwarded by Sam Ruby/Raleigh/IBM on 02/26/2001
10:17 AM ---------------------------

Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org> on 02/26/2001 09:47:32 AM

Please respond to cocoon-dev@xml.apache.org

To:   cocoon-dev@xml.apache.org
cc:
Subject:  Re: [C2] build problem with servlet 2.3

"Morrison, John" wrote:

> Could we not use the code from struts?  That's apache code (so no license
> problems) and encourages (project) re-use?

I understand the idea.  But let me put it very simply--again.

The Struts API does not allow for invisible operation with Cocoon.
The MaybeUpload package extends the HttpServletRequest object, so
is seamlessly integrated with no ugly hacks.

The Struts API requires that we access the functionality in a
"sideways" manner.  What I mean by this is that instead of simply
extending the HttpServletRequest like the two other major utilities
do (O'Reilly and MaybeUpload), you must access separate classes.
This complicates matters more than it helps.  If you want to develop
the glue code to handle the Struts integration inside the
HttpRequest objects so that we don't have to have multiple interfaces
to learn, then by all means please do so.

All I want to do is use the HttpRequest object with (at most) two
extra methods (getFile and getFiles) to obtain the File handles that
were uploaded.