Posted to user@struts.apache.org by phpsurf <ph...@ifrance.com> on 2003/04/09 11:46:48 UTC

Best Practices to Customize Struts-Config and its DTD

Hi

I need to add some complex XML elements in the struts-config.xml
and I'm looking for the best way to do it.

My needs are :

1- add custom xml elements inside <action> elements.
2- be able to validate the struts-config.xml document. (I'd prefer not to disable the 'validating' param in web.xml)
3- as I will need to customize the DTD, how can I remain compliant with future releases of the Struts' DTD ? Is it possible to play with namespaces to achieve a good separation between my tags and Struts' tags ? would it be better to use XSD than DTD ?

thanks for advices and ideas :)

ps: sample xml code:

<action-mappings type="sample.MyActionMapping">

	<action>
		<myTag val1="xxx" val2="xxx"/>
		<forward name="xxx" path="xxx"/>
	</action>

</action-mappings>

ps: I've already tested the digester side (adding a param 'rulesets' in web.xml)

Re: Best Practices to Customize Struts-Config and its DTD

Posted by Gareth Andrew <ga...@ntlworld.com>.
Why not
<action className="MyExtendedMapping"     path="...">
     <set-property  property="config" value="some_config_file.xml"/>
     <forward name="xxx" path="xxx"/>
</action>

That way you can write your own dtd and stay struts-compliant.

Just my 2pence,
Gareth

Posted by phpsurf <ph...@ifrance.com>.