Posted to user@drill.apache.org by Subhayu Bhattacharya <su...@gmail.com> on 2020/11/24 07:07:26 UTC

Getting problem on Schema Selection on Apache drill

Hello Team,

I am new to apache drill and doing some Pilot project and if that is
successful we can get more into drill.
But I am stuck while creating a new workspace/Schema.
I have followed this document link. I have dfs.tmp workspace defined under
my dfs plugins.
I have used the command *USE dfs.tmp , *and this command executed
successfully.
But still after selecting the Schema I am getting below error when I am
trying to run
*SHOW TABLES*
org.apache.drill.common.exceptions.UserRemoteException: VALIDATION ERROR:
No default schema selected. Select a schema using 'USE schema' command

So in one line, even after selecting Schema the schema actually not getting
set.
This is what my exact problem is.

One more Problem I am facing, that is also Schema selection related.
I have created one table DEMO_TEST under dfs.tmp. Table creation command
executed successfully.
After creating table I am able to run select query
select * from dfs.tmp.DEMO_TEST .......this is working fine.

But I am not able to see the DEMO_TEST table under
INFORMATION_SCHMAE.`TABLES`

As per my knowledge all tables existing in drill should be visible under
INFORMATION_SCHEMA.

*But I am not able to see the table DEMO_TEST which I have created under
this.* Can you  please tell me what may be the reason for this.
For any more information please let me know.

Thanks & regards,
Subhayu Bhattacharya
9674992393

Re: Getting problem on Schema Selection on Apache drill

Posted by Charles Givre <cg...@gmail.com>.
Hi Subhayu,
I responded to your first request in the email list.  Are you subscribed to it?

Here's what I wrote:
Are you using the REST interface or the Drill UI to query?  If so this is the cause of your problem as it has no concept of a session. So the "USE" query executes but it is not attached to any session.  My hunch is that if you tried this in the CLI it will work.

Your question about the INFORMATION SCHEMA relates to how Drill actually works.  Drill is not a database, and when you create a view or a table, you're actually creating a file and files don't appear in the INFORMATION_SCHEMA.  To view your work, you'll have to do a SHOW FILES IN.. <> or do some digging in the INFO_SCHEMA.

Posted by Subhayu Bhattacharya <su...@gmail.com>.
Hello Drill support team,

Posted by Charles Givre <cg...@gmail.com>.
Hi Subhayu,
Are you using the REST interface or the Drill UI to query?  If so this is the cause of your problem as it has no concept of a session. So the "USE" query executes but it is not attached to any session.  My hunch is that if you tried this in the CLI it will work.

Your question about the INFORMATION SCHEMA relates to how Drill actually works.  Drill is not a database, and when you create a view or a table, you're actually creating a file and files don't appear in the INFORMATION_SCHEMA.  To view your work, you'll have to do a SHOW FILES IN.. <> or do some digging in the INFO_SCHEMA.

I hope this helps.
-- C