Posted to geospatial@apache.org by Martin Desruisseaux <ma...@geomatys.com> on 2020/09/23 20:34:03 UTC

Video on dynamic Coordinate Reference Systems (CRS)

Hello all

Last week, an Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC) virtual meeting was hold.
During that meeting, we got a link to a video about dynamic Coordinate
Reference Systems (CRS). This video explains issues to be aware for
anyone who wants to locate a point on Earth with a precision better than
3 meters. In particular the use of WGS84 is not sufficient for such
precision, unless coordinate values are completed by an epoch.

    https://youtu.be/IKM-bR6SwVs

This video is produced by IOGP (International Association of Oil & Gas
Producers). IOGP is the creator and maintainer of the EPSG geodetic
dataset, which provides Coordinate Reference System definitions used by
about all GIS (Geographic Information Systems) to my knowledge. The
presenter is Roger Lott, who has been the editor of ISO 19111
(referencing by coordinates) latest revision, of ISO 19162 (Well Known
Text 2) standard and is currently leading the standardization of a file
format for datum shift grids deformation models and more. The recent
advances in OGC/ISO international standards on referencing by
coordinates owe him a lot.

More details on the topic discussed in the video can be found there:

    https://www.iogp.org/bookstore/product/geomatics-guidance-note-25-dynamic-versus-static-crss-and-use-of-the-itrf/

Martin

Re: ST_Contains is enough. No need for Covers

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, George. I have updated https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-4186 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-4186> based upon your remarks.

Julian

Posted by George Percivall <gp...@ogc.org>.
Julian,

--
 <https://www.ogc.org/webinars>

Re: Video on dynamic Coordinate Reference Systems (CRS)

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.