Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Ron Gilbert <li...@rzweb.com> on 2005/06/08 18:30:49 UTC

Forcing an update

Is there a way to force new revisions down, ignoring any and all changes (conflicts) that might be there?  I'm trying to use svn as a way to distribute a large (frequently updated) directory tree to users.  The files should not be modified by these users, so if they did change something, I need svn to just write over it without question.

These are non-technical users, so any errors about conflicts will just confuse them, plus it's all being run from a batch file.

Ron

Re: Forcing an update

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On 08.06.2005, at 20:30, Ron Gilbert wrote:

> Is there a way to force new revisions down, ignoring any and all
> changes (conflicts) that might be there?  I'm trying to use svn as a
> way to distribute a large (frequently updated) directory tree to
> users.  The files should not be modified by these users, so if they
> did change something, I need svn to just write over it without
> question.
>
> These are non-technical users, so any errors about conflicts will just
> confuse them, plus it's all being run from a batch file.

Isn't that just

svn revert --recursive --quiet /path/to/working/copy
svn update --quiet /path/to/working/copy

?

Re: Forcing an update

Posted by Saulius Grazulis <gr...@akl.lt>.
On Wednesday 08 June 2005 21:30, Ron Gilbert wrote:
> Is there a way to force new revisions down, ignoring any and all changes
> (conflicts) that might be there?  I'm trying to use svn as a way to
> distribute a large (frequently updated) directory tree to users.  The files
> should not be modified by these users, so if they did change something, I
> need svn to just write over it without question.
>
> These are non-technical users, so any errors about conflicts will just
> confuse them, plus it's all being run from a batch file.
>
> Ron

Wouldn't the following:

rsync -av --delete --exclude .svn /original/work/copy/
root@remote:~clueless/wc/

be better that Subverion in this case? Subversion *is* designed to manage
conflicts, that's how it should be.

Besides, if users are not supposed to modify data, that data should be
read-only for those users... no?

--
Saulius Gražulis

Visuomeninė organizacija "Atviras Kodas Lietuvai"
P.Vileišio g. 18
LT-10306 Vilnius
Lietuva (Lithuania)

tel/fax:      (+370-5)-210 40 05
mobilus:      (+370-684)-49802, (+370-614)-36366

Re: Forcing an update

Posted by Nicolas Goutte <ni...@snafu.de>.
On Wednesday 08 June 2005 21:11, Dale Worley wrote:
> > From: Ron Gilbert [mailto:lists@rzweb.com]
> >
> > Is there a way to force new revisions down, ignoring any and
> > all changes (conflicts) that might be there?
>
> "Delete and check out fresh" would work, but I'm sure you've thought about
> that and discarded it already.  You might try "svn revert -R" followed by
> "svn update".  But discarding local changes is something Subversion does
> not like.
>
> Have you considered using rsync or the Unison file synchronizer
> (with -force)?  It seems that Subversion is overkill for your application.

There are one use case where it could be very useful

A script could be a help for users but what users have changed has priority
over what the script has changed.

So reverting everything unconditionally is not good, as the script has made
changes to its local copy and wants to commit these changes if possible.

(However personally I would prefer instead of a force-update a special commit
that skips conficts.)

Have a nice day!

RE: Forcing an update

Posted by Dale Worley <dw...@pingtel.com>.