Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Jonathon -- Improov <jo...@improov.com> on 2007/04/24 14:22:56 UTC

Google Widget Toolkit and OFBiz Widget module

David,

Seems to me the GWT will generate both the HTML (events) and the Javascript (event handlers). Is
that correct? If so, I'd have to somehow translate the HTML output to OFBiz widgets. Still, GWT's
support for coding in Java is cool.

Yes, OFBiz supports JSON (via json-lib). I've been using it often in Ajax work with OFBiz.

Jonathon

Re: Google Widget Toolkit and OFBiz Widget module

Posted by David Goodenough <da...@linkchoose.co.uk>.
Actually GWT does not generate HTML, it generates DOM objects.  The
difference is perhaps being picky, but I think it is important.

Attaching GWT event handling to existing HTML is not something that
should be attempted.

David

Posted by Jonathon -- Improov <jo...@improov.com>.
David,

Posted by David Goodenough <da...@linkchoose.co.uk>.
Which is exactly what GWT gives you.  The UI code in the form of a minimal
HTML file and a lump of javascript are served by the we server by run on the
client.

David

Posted by Jonathon -- Improov <jo...@improov.com>.
David,

Posted by David Goodenough <da...@linkchoose.co.uk>.

Re: [SPAM] Re: Google Widget Toolkit and OFBiz Widget module

Posted by Jonathon -- Improov <jo...@improov.com>.
BJ,

You mean get OFBiz Widget module to generate Java UIs (SWT)? Won't be easy.

What we can do is craft a few Java-based "connector" classes to talk between Java UI and server.
The current "form-to-server interface" is http and ajax, we should reuse that. Just a matter of
compiling the parameters and contexts, and firing it through RequestHandler.

We could even consider that an interim measure for now, and create a JavaFormHandler that is a
counterpart to the RequestHandler. "Counterpart" meaning it is not on same level as say
JavaEventHandler, but 1 level higher.

The only question now: Do we urgently need to get OFBiz Widget to support Java UIs? Is that a
popular need?

Jonathon

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.

Posted by David Goodenough <da...@linkchoose.co.uk>.

Posted by Chris Howe <cj...@yahoo.com>.
I see, thank you.

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/ofbiz/trunk/framework/widget/src/org/ofbiz/wid

Posted by David Goodenough <da...@linkchoose.co.uk>.

Posted by Chris Howe <cj...@yahoo.com>.
What is preventing it from being done on the fly?

--- David Goodenough <da...@linkchoose.co.uk> wrote:

> One important thing about what I am proposing is that the xsl
> transform
> happens on the UI definition, NOT on the HTML that would have been
> displayed.  And that xsl transform is done once when the code is
> built,
> it is not done on the fly which is what I take a renderer to mean.
>
> David
>
> On Wednesday 25 April 2007 06:13, Chris Howe wrote:
> > Not a renderer for javascript, a renderer for GWT or a renderer for
> > Echo2 or for one of the xml based engines.  It would transform the
> > screen definition into what is expected of the engine.  The one
> you're
> > most used to is the one that transforms the screen definition into
> > html.  It's very similar to what David G. is talking about with an
> xsl
> > transformation but using the methodology that Ofbiz uses by
> abstracting
> > it out to the renderer.

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/ofbiz/trunk/framework/widget/src/org/ofbiz/wid
> >get/
> >
> > I don't have my head wrapped completely around where one part
> begins or
> > ends, but David J. or Jacopo might be able to add some insight.  My
> > reply to David G. was a question, not an interrogative statement.
> >
> > --- Jonathon -- Improov <jo...@improov.com> wrote:
> > > Chris,
> > >
> > > A renderer for javascript? Currently, the "renderer" I'm using is
> > > merely Freemarker.
> > >
> > > Jonathon

> create

> > > HTML".

> GWT
> > >
> > > code

> but
> into
> > >
> > > the

> widgets
> > >
> > > can

> for
> getting
> in
> > >
> > > Java

> problematic
> redefine
> safe
> > >
> > > in

> use
> > >
> > > well.

> frameworks)
> > >
> > > in

> > > while

> in
> > >
> > > my

> > > handling

> > > which

> which

> Java
> actually

> > > HTML

> can

> necessary

> have

> and

=== message truncated ===

Re: Google Widget Toolkit and OFBiz Widget module

Posted by David Goodenough <da...@linkchoose.co.uk>.

Posted by Chris Howe <cj...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Jonathon -- Improov <jo...@improov.com>.
Chris,