Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de> on 2009/11/06 19:02:37 UTC

Idea for a Plugin in Maven 2 - Maven License Validator - Plugin

Hi there,

i want to ask you all for your hints etc. may be something like this
exists already...

I have thought about a new Maven Plugin:

Often Project have the problem to see which Licenses the used artifacts
have in particular the transitive dependencies and the situation if a
new dependency will be added.
This is often a problem in larger companies, cause there existing some
rules about "valid" licenses which can be used in the company and which
not...

The resulting Plugin could check the licenses of all artifacts
(dependencies) and abort if a "none valid" license is used (from a
dependency).

So my Idea is to check all the dependencies and try to figure out which
License every artifact has.

As a start point i have found the dependency plugin which already scans
the dependency tree (dependency:tree)....

But i came to a problem:
   Does exist a possibility to get the information
   from the POM (License part). The Artifact Class contains only
   methods to getId etc. but none for getting things like "License"-Area

   Does that mean i have to read the pom files myself ? Or does exist
   a simpler solution to read the pom files ?

Many thanks in advance...

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise
Dipl.Ing.(FH) Karl Heinz Marbaise        ICQ#: 135949029
Hauptstrasse 177                         USt.IdNr: DE191347579
52146 Würselen                           http://www.soebes.de

Re: Idea for a Plugin in Maven 2 - Maven License Validator - Plugin

Posted by Paul Gier <pg...@redhat.com>.
You can take a look at the code for the jboss license plugin [1].  It downloads
the license files of all the dependencies in the tree.

[1]http://anonsvn.jboss.org/repos/maven/plugins/jboss/trunk/maven-jboss-license-plugin/