Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Andrzej Jan Taramina <an...@chaeron.com> on 2003/11/14 17:52:03 UTC

Thoughts on flowscripts....

Been thinking about the flowscript issue, and wanted to float some other
thoughts regarding consistency.

In my mind, some level of consistency is a "good thing(tm)", and leads to two
precepts:

1) Consistent syntax should perform consistently similar functions.
2) Consistent names should denote consistent things.

So that begs the question:

Why does <map:call resource="xxx"/> behave like a method invocation and
returns to the sitemap and continues execution a the point that was left off
(assuming the last item in the resource wasn't a serializer).

But <map:call function="xxx"/> is expected to never return by always doing a
showPage() or showPageAndWait()?

This is a Cocoon inconsistency in how <map:call> behaves which breaks the
first precept.

Maybe it should be renamed <map:flowscript fuction="xxx"> in the latter
circumstance or something other than <map:call>?

In most programing languages in common usage a "call" implies a return, so
there is also an inconsistency here with accepted terminology with respect to
the flowscript syntax. This breaks the 2nd precept wrt to common definitions.

Just some thoughts...

Andrzej Jan Taramina
http://www.chaeron.com

RE: Thoughts on flowscripts....

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org>.
From: Andrzej Jan Taramina

> > One note: With VirtualSitemapComponents map:resource will be
> > deprecated.
>
> That's interesting. I presume this might be for V2.2 down the road?
>
> I've been so heads down on my current project, I haven't been
> able to lift my
> head and peer into what is coming down the road.
>
> Where can I find info on this and other new features?

upcoming features ...

Virtual Components:
http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=VirtualComponents

Cocoon blocks:
http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=Blocks

Cocoon Forms:
http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=Woody

Intercepted Flowscripts:
no docs available yet (coming in the next weeks)

--
Reinhard

RE: Thoughts on flowscripts....

Posted by Andrzej Jan Taramina <an...@chaeron.com>.
> One note: With VirtualSitemapComponents map:resource will be deprecated.

That's interesting. I presume this might be for V2.2 down the road?

I've been so heads down on my current project, I haven't been able to lift my
head and peer into what is coming down the road.

Where can I find info on this and other new features?

Thanks!

Andrzej Jan Taramina
http://www.chaeron.com

RE: Thoughts on flowscripts....