Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Farrukh Najmi <fa...@wellfleetsoftware.com> on 2008/11/26 22:54:45 UTC

log4j ignoring log4j.properties and only showing INFO messages

I have been using log4j 1.2.14 and commons-logging 1.1 in my project
successfully for a long time.
All of a sudden I am finding that my log4j.properties file can no longer
control logging behavior
for log4j. The only messages that are logged are INFO messages.

Since my project is a maven project with many direct and indirect
dependencies its possible that one of those dependencies changed in some way
to change my apps logging behavior.

I have tried specifying my log4j file explicitly using system property:

-Dlog4j.configuration=file:///somedir/log4j.properties

No joy with that. Expected trace messages till did not appear.

Then I wondered perhaps the problem is in commons-logging so I tried to turn
diagnostic on in common-logging using system property:

 -Dorg.apache.commons.logging.diagnostics.dest=somefile.txt

Still no joy. No file was created.

What could be wrong and how can I debug this further?

Thanks for your help.

Re: log4j ignoring log4j.properties and only showing INFO messages

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.
Is System.out and/or System.err being redirected to a file by the main program?

Jake

Posted by Farrukh Najmi <fa...@wellfleetsoftware.com>.

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.