Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen <no...@c.dk> on 2004/05/19 12:32:27 UTC

Re: Is there going to be another release of the 0.20 branch?

Chris Bowditch wrote:

> No, no further releases are planned from the maintenance branch, and
> all development is focused on CVS Head.

I am browsing through archives to find pointers for performance
improvement, and found the above comment a bit confusing.

Why having a maintainance branch, if you do not intend to release
anything from it?

This is an issue since I cannot use unreleased CVS code even if it
performs much better.

--
  Thorbjoern Ravn Andersen      "...plus...Tubular Bells!"

Re: Is there going to be another release of the 0.20 branch?

Posted by Clay Leeds <cl...@medata.com>.
Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen wrote:
> Why having a maintainance branch, if you do not intend to release
> anything from it?
>
> This is an issue since I cannot use unreleased CVS code even if it
> performs much better.

The MAINTENANCE Branch was frozen to allow FOP developers to focus on
the re-design effort (the future of FOP). There are no planned NEW
releases from the MAINTENANCE branch. At present, it exists for historic
purposes only, although PATCHs to the MAINTENANCE branch (offering
slight improvements to performance and a couple of mainly minor bugs)
still exist in bugzilla[1].

Web Maestro Clay

[1] Bugzilla - where PATCHs may be found (watch word wrap!)
http://nagoya.apache.org/bugzilla/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&email1=&emailtype1=substring&emailassigned_to1=1&email2=&emailtype2=substring&emailreporter2=1&bugidtype=include&bug_id=&changedin=&votes=&chfieldfrom=&chfieldto=Now&chfieldvalue=&product=Fop&short_desc=&short_desc_type=allwordssubstr&long_desc=&long_desc_type=allwordssubstr&bug_file_loc=&bug_file_loc_type=allwordssubstr&keywords=&keywords_type=anywords&field0-0-0=noop&type0-0-0=noop&value0-0-0=&order=bugs.component

Re: Is there going to be another release of the 0.20 branch?

Posted by Chris Bowditch <bo...@hotmail.com>.
Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen wrote:

> Chris Bowditch wrote:
>
>> No, no further releases are planned from the maintenance branch, and
>> all development is focused on CVS Head.
>

> I am browsing through archives to find pointers for performance
> improvement, and found the above comment a bit confusing.
>
> Why having a maintainance branch, if you do not intend to release
> anything from it?

Well there have been releases from it in the past, since the code was forked
for redesign. The trouble with the maintainance branch is the design restricts
  the addition of significant new features, i.e. keep-* properties. It is
possible to make minor refinements, but the development team prefers to work
on a new design that supports more XSL-FO features than is possible in the
maintainance code.

> This is an issue since I cannot use unreleased CVS code even if it
> performs much better.

Why not? Even released code goes through no official test cycle, the
development team relies on user feedback to find bugs.

Chris