Posted to dev@rave.apache.org by Marlon Pierce <mp...@cs.indiana.edu> on 2011/11/01 14:50:28 UTC

[discuss] Apache Rave 0.5-incubating Release Candidate

RE: [discuss] Apache Rave 0.5-incubating Release Candidate

Posted by "Cooper, Sean D." <se...@mitre.org>.
Release
 +1

* Admin interface
+1, but not a blocker

* Approve
+1, but not a blocker

* Rating
I am unable to reproduce on IE 8, FireFox 7.0.1, or Chrome 15.0.874.102, please open a new ticket with browser version specifics for testing

-Sean

Posted by Jasha Joachimsthal <j....@onehippo.com>.
On 1 November 2011 16:09, Carlucci, Tony <ac...@mitre.org> wrote:

> [...]
I created RAVE-332 for the change in logic.

Jasha

RE: [discuss] Apache Rave 0.5-incubating Release Candidate

Posted by "Carlucci, Tony" <ac...@mitre.org>.
> > and
> > be
> is, I
> has
> > >>

> > >The widget URL is unique to prevent duplicates. Until recently the user
> > saw
> > >a message in the add widget form that the widget already exists in the
> > >database. We need to find out why the error page is shown now.
> > >

> > I don't personally view this as a blocker though since it only happens in
> > a very specific case -- does anyone disagree?
> >

> > It's not nice and should be fixed, but I don't see it as a blocker
> either.
>
> > Jasha
>
> +1 on it needing to be fixed but not being a blocker.
>
> The error is occurring because: 1) DefaultWidgetService.registerNewWidget
> returns a null Widget if the url already exists, and 2) the
> RavePermissionEvaluator.hasPermission functions need to handle null objects
> better.  I'll create a bug ticket for this issue.
>

>I wrote the 1) logic but now I see it back I see room for improvement. The
>Validator can reject the new widget if its url is already present. Then if
>for some reason DefaultWidgetService#registerNewWidget is called for a URL
>that already exists, it can throw a (DuplicateItem)Exception instead of
>returning null. WDYT?

>Jasha

+1 on the DuplicateItemException enhancement - it's a good pattern to use across the board and easy for calling functions to trap and handle with "nice" client side messages.  The hasPermission code needs to be fixed as well for better NPE prevention no matter what (RAVE-331).

Tony

---
Anthony Carlucci | SW App Dev Eng, Sr. | R501 / KW App Development & Maint
e: acarlucci@mitre.org | v: 781.271.2432 | f: 781.271.3299
The MITRE Corporation | 202 Burlington Rd | Bedford, MA 01730-1420

Re: [discuss] Apache Rave 0.5-incubating Release Candidate

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.
On 11/01/2011 03:59 PM, Jasha Joachimsthal wrote:

<snip/>

>>> saw
>>>>

>>> I don't personally view this as a blocker though since it only happens in
>>> a very specific case -- does anyone disagree?
>>>

>>> It's not nice and should be fixed, but I don't see it as a blocker
>> either.
>>
>>> Jasha
>>
>> +1 on it needing to be fixed but not being a blocker.
>>
>> The error is occurring because: 1) DefaultWidgetService.registerNewWidget
>> returns a null Widget if the url already exists, and 2) the
>> RavePermissionEvaluator.hasPermission functions need to handle null objects
>> better.  I'll create a bug ticket for this issue.
>>

> I wrote the 1) logic but now I see it back I see room for improvement. The
> Validator can reject the new widget if its url is already present. Then if
> for some reason DefaultWidgetService#registerNewWidget is called for a URL
> that already exists, it can throw a (DuplicateItem)Exception instead of
> returning null. WDYT?
>
> Jasha

+1 on the fix and +1 on regarding this as a non-blocker, so fine to fix for next
release.
I haven't yet reviewed the release itself, so this is not a vote for the
release, just concerns this issue.

Re: [discuss] Apache Rave 0.5-incubating Release Candidate

Posted by Marlon Pierce <mp...@cs.indiana.edu>.

RE: [discuss] Apache Rave 0.5-incubating Release Candidate

Posted by "Ciancetta, Jesse E." <jc...@mitre.org>.
>> The error is occurring because: 1) DefaultWidgetService.registerNewWidget
>> returns a null Widget if the url already exists, and 2) the
>> RavePermissionEvaluator.hasPermission functions need to handle null
>objects
>> better.  I'll create a bug ticket for this issue.
>>

>I wrote the 1) logic but now I see it back I see room for improvement. The
>Validator can reject the new widget if its url is already present. Then if
>for some reason DefaultWidgetService#registerNewWidget is called for a URL
>that already exists, it can throw a (DuplicateItem)Exception instead of
>returning null. WDYT?

+1 -- sounds good to me.

Posted by Jasha Joachimsthal <j....@onehippo.com>.

Posted by "Carlucci, Tony" <ac...@mitre.org>.
> >> I was able to download and run the svn tagged version, source release,
> and
> >> the .tar.gz and .zip demo artifacts correctly.  However, there seems to
> be
> >> a bug if I try to add a new gadget with the same URL twice.   That is, I
> >> tried adding http://www.google.com/ig/modules/builtin_weather.xml with
> >> two different names. The first time worked correctly (or at least is
> >> waiting on admin approval). The second time produced an error ("Rave has
> >> suffered a brief meltdown").  I won't put the stack trace here.
> >>

> >The widget URL is unique to prevent duplicates. Until recently the user
> saw
> >a message in the add widget form that the widget already exists in the
> >database. We need to find out why the error page is shown now.
> >

> I don't personally view this as a blocker though since it only happens in
> a very specific case -- does anyone disagree?
>

> It's not nice and should be fixed, but I don't see it as a blocker either.

> Jasha

+1 on it needing to be fixed but not being a blocker.

The error is occurring because: 1) DefaultWidgetService.registerNewWidget returns a null Widget if the url already exists, and 2) the RavePermissionEvaluator.hasPermission functions need to handle null objects better.  I'll create a bug ticket for this issue.

> >> Some other (probably non-blocking) issues:
> >>
> >> * We need an obvious way to get to the admin interface from the front
> >page
> >> or from the canonical user (or any other admin) account.
> >>

> >More than that: we need to work out how the menu should behave. Now we
> >build up the menu per JSP with items that may or may not be there.
> >

> >> * If I approve a widget (change "preview" to "publish"), the form action
> >> should take me back to the widgets list or at least let me know if the
> >> action was successful or not.
> >>

> >Sorry, I haven't added any feedback yet in the admin interface. If the
> >action was successful, you are now redirected back to the form.
> >

> >> * If I rate a widget, I can go to +2 or -2 rather than +1 or -1.
> >>

> >That's probably a display issue until you refresh the page. After the
> vote,
> >the number is updated client side until you refresh the page and you get
> >the real value from the server.
> >

> >> Marlon

---

Posted by Jasha Joachimsthal <j....@onehippo.com>.