Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Dave <ja...@yahoo.com> on 2007/03/28 08:00:55 UTC

FileUpload to different machine

Web application using JSF deployed on JBoss runing on Linux. Another server machine is Windows 2003. For file upload, all the file need to be stored in the windows machine. Questions:
  how to access the windows' file system from Linux?
  For file upload, can the file be uploaded directly into the windows machine even though the JBoss is running on the Linux machine?

  Thanks
  dave

---------------------------------
Be a PS3 game guru.

Re: FileUpload to different machine

Posted by Dennis Gesker <de...@gesker.com>.
Hi Dave:

I have a small application that allows users on my LAN to upload files and
photos. Rather than store the photos to a windows directory I upload them to
a small dedicated Linux server using ftp and then retrieve them again for my
application from this same server using http. This works well as I'm able to
use the same photos in a second application. To upload the files I use the
org.apache.commons.net.ftp lib. This approach might also work well if I need
to cluster the application down the road.

Perhaps this could work for you as well.

If you want to keep your storage on the windows machine consider installing
the samba (smbfs) on your Linux box (it might already be installed). You
could "share" the folder that contains the files on you windows box and then
mount this directory using sambafs on your linux box.

The mount command will look something like:

mount -t smbfs -o username=THEUSERNAME,password=THEPASSWORD
/mnt/SOMEDIRECTORY //WINDOWSBOX/SHAREDFOLDER

Rather than mount manually you could also either make an entry in you fstab
or perhaps play with the autofs package so that the Linux box can find the
windows share if you need to reboot the linux box.

Dennis

--
Dennis R. Gesker
email: dennis@gesker.com

Re: FileUpload to different machine

Posted by or...@kewlstuff.co.za.
A long time now since I played with Debian, but if I remember correctly just
make your java program be able to write to a linux folder /etc/whatever,
then get SAMBA, it allows you to map linux drives to windows and visa versa,
then you will simply map a windows share to a lnked drive on linux, you
write to the linux drive, it goes to the windows share.

Or you could write to the linux box and just map that as a drive on windows,
to the windows user it will feel like its on their machne.... SAMBA.
Regards
 Johnny