Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org> on 2005/07/03 19:11:15 UTC

RE: [m2] Clvoer plugin location (was RE: [m2] Forking a custom lifecycle in a report plugin?)

On Mon, 2005-06-27 at 08:31 +0200, Vincent Massol wrote:

> [...]

Vincent, we don't really have a sandbox area setup so I think everyone
would agree that you having access to:

http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/maven/components/trunk/maven-plugins/

Is just fine so you're setup there.

Sorry for the delay, just got back from JavaOne.

> Thanks
> -Vincent

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason at maven.org
http://maven.apache.org

the course of true love never did run smooth ...

 -- Shakespeare

Re: [m2] Clvoer plugin location (was RE: [m2] Forking a custom lifecycle in a report plugin?)

Posted by Emmanuel Venisse <em...@venisse.net>.
Jason van Zyl wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-06-27 at 08:31 +0200, Vincent Massol wrote:

+1

Emmanuel

Mixed plugins and functional tests for plugins? (was RE: [m2] Clvoer plugin location (was RE: [m2] Forking a customlifecycle in a report plugin?))

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com>.

Thanks. I'll commit what I have of the clover plugin later this week.

Before doing that I have 2 questions:

1/ The Clover plugin is a mix of "standard" mojos and report mojos. Where
should it live? It seems you've made a distinction between report plugins
and other plugins. I believe that most plugin are actually a mix. For
example the checkstyle plugin should have a mojo for failing the build in
case of violation.

2/ What directory structure do you want for functional tests for plugins?
Here's what I currently have:

maven-clover-plugin/
  |_ plugin/
  |_ samples/
    |_ simple/

Where plugin/ is the directory of the plugin sources, samples/ the directory
where samples acting as functional tests are found and simple/ is one simple
sample. There could be more than one in the future.

This does not fit the plugin structure I have seen so far because current
plugins do not have functional tests (most do not even have unit tests
actually).

I had discussed this with Trygve a bit on IRC and Trygve was suggesting that
I consider functional tests as unit tests and put them in src/test/java.
That would mean embedding Maven in the tests itself.

I think there's some value in that but it's beyond my current knowledge to
do so. I do believe it would be nice to create a functional maven tester
plugin that would execute Maven projects located in directories specified in
a config element in the POM (say it would default to src/test/projects). The
plugin would embed an m2 instance and execute the defined projects. This
plugin would be bound to the functional-test phase.

This would allow us to have the following plugin source structure:

maven-clover-plugin/
  |_ src/
    |_ main/
    |_ test/
      |_ java/ <-- unit tests only
      |_ projects/
        |_ simple/

The plugin's POM would reference the maven tester plugin so that it is
bound to the functional-test phase and running "m2 install" would trigger
it.

WDYT?

Thanks
-Vincent