Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by George K <th...@gmail.com> on 2018/09/23 12:14:33 UTC

Open Office Build Process

Hello everyone,

I 'm currently trying to build Open Office on Windows. I 've setup most of
the environment but I am having trouble finding the Windows 7.0 SDK, witch
contains MSVC 2008, as it is unavailable from Microsoft. Peter kindly
pointed me at an image of Windows Server 2008 Standard
<https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5023>. Should I
setup a VM with that image, or download Windows 7? I 'm currently trying to
build on a Windows 10 machine. Any help and directions would be welcome.

That said, I would like to contribute to Open Office, by making the build
process easier and migrating the project for Windows on MSVC 2017. I have
thought of the following build process:

- Install Visual Studio 2017(All libraries and tools needed would be
provided through the installation)
- Install all other prerequisites using a Windows BATCH file(Provide a .bat
file for automating installation of Java, Cygwin etc. and setting up the
modules. Or, if complexity demands it, install python and do all the above
through it. Optimally, checkout the repo from svn and be ready for build).
- Build Open Office as usual.

That might be complicated, but I 'm willing to try. I 'm currently trying
to familiarize my self with the code and I would be grateful if someone
pointed me to the right direction. Let's keep an open discussion of Open
Office's build process. Feel free to suggest new things or improve my own.

Thanks in advance,
George

Re: Open Office Build Process

Posted by Peter Kovacs <Pe...@Apache.org>.
Here a pointer to the Archives (search for all mails last year) to the
MSVC topic:

https://lists.apache.org/list.html?dev@openoffice.apache.org:lte=12M:MSVC

I have found a Wiki resource for the build System (maybe it helps):

https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Build_System_Analysis

https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Build_Environment_Effort/New_Build_System_Requirements

I would use Windows 10. If you use a VM or not is more matter of taste.

All the best to the Migration effort!

Posted by Damjan Jovanovic <da...@apache.org>.
Hi George

Posted by George K <th...@gmail.com>.
Hello Matthias,

As I am unable to find the SDK, would it be possible to send me a copy so I
can get started and build
the project?

After I have successfully build OpenOffice, I will try to investigate
building for newer versions of MSVC.
Additionally, I will start working on a script called build_tools, to start
figuring out how the build environment
can be automated.

Also, it would be nice if someone provided a VDI image of a working build
environment in the Wiki, so new
developers can get up and running with VirtualBox, without the caveats of
the current build environment.

Best regards,
George

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.