Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Giovanni Moretti <Gi...@reflections.co.nz> on 2004/05/29 11:36:44 UTC

Do Auto-props work on files already committed?

Hi

I've just discovered the enable-auto-props in the config file - amazing how
much more sense it makes now than when I first read it (before I'd started
using SVN).

I'm wanting to enable keyword expansion on all my Delphi files but they've
already been committed, and the SVN Books talks about the auto-properties
affecting newly added and imported files - ominously it doesn't mention
already checked-in files :-(

If I enable the property to enable keyword expansion on all .pas files, is
there a way to make this affect all .pas files - as though I'd set the
keywords autoproperty when the repository was being set up?

If not, any suggestions as to how to do this (other than manually - one at a
time)?

Thanks
Giovanni

Re: Do Auto-props work on files already committed?

Posted by Wesley J Landaker <wj...@icecavern.net>.
On Saturday 29 May 2004 7:30 am, M wrote:
> | but this may be better:
> |
> |     find . -name "*.pas" > pasfile
> |     svn propset svn:keywords Rev --targets pasfile
>
> C:\>svn propset svn:keywords "Author Date Rev Url Id" --force
> --non-interactive --targets pasfile
> stops on the first unversioned file, saying
> svn: 'xxx/yyy' is not under version control
>
> is this by intention?
> In this case it doesn't matter but when propsetting e.g. xml files
> and having machine generated (and therefore unversioned) xmls in the
> tree things grow complicated as the the 'find' step must be replaced
> by something like svn -v st | awk ...

Or, just check out a temporary new working copy, add the props, commit
them, then delete the tree. =)

--
Wesley J. Landaker <wj...@icecavern.net>

Re: Do Auto-props work on files already committed?

Posted by M <ma...@gmx.de>.

Re: Do Auto-props work on files already committed?

Posted by Glenn Maynard <g_...@zewt.org>.
On Sat, May 29, 2004 at 10:06:14AM -0400, John Peacock wrote:
> I hadn't considered unversioned resources in the directory tree.  Yes,
> you'd have to use something like 'svn -v st...' in that case.

An argument like "--ignore-unversioned" would be helpful.

--
Glenn Maynard

Re: Do Auto-props work on files already committed?

Posted by John Peacock <jp...@rowman.com>.
M wrote:
> C:\>svn propset svn:keywords "Author Date Rev Url Id" --force
> - --non-interactive --targets pasfile
> stops on the first unversioned file, saying
> svn: 'xxx/yyy' is not under version control
>
> is this by intention?

Well, yes.  Everything in the --targets file must be a versioned object, else
you cannot set the property.  QED

> In this case it doesn't matter but when propsetting e.g. xml files and
> having machine generated (and therefore unversioned) xmls in the tree
> things grow complicated as the the 'find' step must be replaced by
> something like svn -v st | awk ...

I hadn't considered unversioned resources in the directory tree.  Yes, you'd
have to use something like 'svn -v st...' in that case.

John

--
John Peacock
Rowman & Littlefield Publishing Group

Re: Do Auto-props work on files already committed?

Posted by M <ma...@gmx.de>.

Re: Do Auto-props work on files already committed?

Posted by John Peacock <jp...@rowman.com>.
Giovanni Moretti wrote:
> If I enable the property to enable keyword expansion on all .pas files, is
> there a way to make this affect all .pas files - as though I'd set the
> keywords autoproperty when the repository was being set up?

I think this will work:

	svn propset -R svn:keywords Rev *.pas

but this may be better:

	find . -name "*.pas" > pasfile
	svn propset svn:keywords Rev --targets pasfile

HTH

John