Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Ryan Simmons <Ry...@gsfc.nasa.gov> on 2003/02/13 19:10:08 UTC

[users@httpd] upgrading from 2.0.39 to 2.0.44?

Greetings,

This is my first post to this list.  Please forgive me if my question is
overly ignorant.  I've searched the Apache site, read the FAQs and
basically not found anything explaining how to upgrade from 2.0.39 to
2.0.44.  When I try to install the newer version, the message that pops up
saying I have an older version seems to indicate that I need to completely
uninstall the current version.  I don't want to do that and lose all my
settings.

Does anyone know where upgrade information is?  All I could find was
upgrade information from 1.3 to 2.0.

Thanks for any assistance.

Ryan

[users@httpd] Apache will not load module

Posted by Mike Landeros <mi...@mld.com>.
I am having extreme difficulty installing Apache 2.0.43 and/or 2.0.44.
This group is my last hope. Have never had this much trouble with any UNIX
install.

Have:

Apache 2.0.44
Tomcat 4.1.18
Connector mod_jk-2.0.42.so
Linux Slackware

Config:

./configure --prefix=/usr/local/apache \
--enable-so \
--enable-speling \
--enable-ssl \
--enable-status \
--enable-cgi \

I placed connector in APACHE_HOME/modules/ dir.
Added the following line in httpd.conf:

"LoadModule jk2_module modules/mod_jk-2.0.42.so"

At apache startup:

"Syntax error on line 232 of /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf:
Can't locate API module structure `jk2_module' in file
/usr/local/apache/modules/mod_jk-2.0.42.so:
/usr/local/apache/lib/libap
r-0.so.0: undefined symbol: jk2_module"

I tried installing apache 2.0.42 & 2.0.43, same message.

What can be the problem?

Can anyone detect the problem?

Re: [users@httpd] upgrading from 2.0.39 to 2.0.44?

Posted by Amol Jakatdar <aj...@odu.edu>.
Ryan,

Uninstall will not delete your httpd.conf or any file modified after the
installation. At least it did that for me. So if you install the new
version at the same location, it will have your old settings. It will
also not delete any modules that you may have added.

I would also make a copy of my conf directory and store it at some safe
place before uninstalling... same for any other apache related files
like extra modules, SSL certs, etc. just in case...

Beware: Piped logs are broken in 2.0.44 so if you are using that
feature, you may want to wait till 2.0.45 is released.

Amol

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Thu, 13 Feb 2003, Ryan Simmons wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> This is my first post to this list.  Please forgive me if my question is
> overly ignorant.  I've searched the Apache site, read the FAQs and
> basically not found anything explaining how to upgrade from 2.0.39 to
> 2.0.44.  When I try to install the newer version, the message that pops up
> saying I have an older version seems to indicate that I need to completely
> uninstall the current version.  I don't want to do that and lose all my
> settings.

In general, the uninstall process does not remove any of the stuff you
modify (configuration files and web content).  But just to be extra safe
on your first try, you can make a copy of the apache directory structure
before the uninstall.

Joshua.