Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Andrus Moor <ee...@online.ee> on 2003/11/23 18:14:09 UTC

[users@httpd] Using Apache with dynamic IP address

I have installed a nmber of Apache 2 SSL servers in Windows in a number of
customer's offices. They use cheap ADSL connections.
There are only small number of clients who needs to access to those servers.
Access from public internet using IE and Firebird browsers over SSL to 443
port is required. Only 443 port is open to outside world.

Problem:

If server is re-booted, the server is no more
accessible since its IP address changes. I cannot use fixed IP address
Internet connection since it is more expensive.

Which is the best solution :

1. Are there free services available which allow to use Apache with dynamic
IP ? www.dynip.com is not free.
www.no-ip.com allows max 5 hosts for free.

2. I have access to a Web server which has registered domain name and is
capable to run PERL and Solaris executables scripts.
Is there a script which allow to register dynamic IP Apache server in
fixed-address web server?

3. I think I can wrote an IP address range scanner which scans
443 ports to find proper www server. Web browser can access some web page
which invokes the IP addrsss scanner.
How fast this is? Is this scanner legal and reasonable?
How to add a unique host identification to Apache response ?

All solutions must be transparent to end user as much as possible, in both
server and client side.

Any ideas ?

Andrus.

Re: [users@httpd] Using Apache with dynamic IP address

Posted by musicdts <mu...@hotmail.com>.
I  use no-ip.com, been up over 400 days.
Download their client, and there you go!

On Sun, Nov 23, 2003 at 07:14:09PM +0200, Andrus
Moor wrote:
> I have installed a nmber of Apache 2 SSL servers
in Windows in a number of
> customer's offices. They use cheap ADSL
connections.
> There are only small number of clients who needs
to access to those servers.
> Access from public internet using IE and
Firebird browsers over SSL to 443
> port is required. Only 443 port is open to
outside world.

> Problem:
>
> If server is re-booted, the server is no more
> accessible since its IP address changes. I
cannot use fixed IP address
> Internet connection since it is more expensive.

Create a dyndns entry for your server.  Use a
dynamic dns service such
as http://www.dyndns.org/ or one of the others you
mention (don't know
how they work, dyndns are good in my experience).

Install/configure dynamic dns software client on
your server to update
your dyndns entry with the dyndns.org site
whenever you reboot.  In this
way your users can always access your site using a
fqdn regardless of
your IP address.

There are complete guides at the dyndns.org site,
although you sound
like you know what you're doing so hopefully this
makes some sense to
you.

--
Jez Hancock