Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com> on 2011/11/09 00:32:42 UTC

Foundation policy for email forwarding service

Hello everybody,

At the Board's face-to-face meeting here in Vancouver, we discussed
the issue of transferring [from Oracle to Apache] the set of
email-forwards for usernames in the openoffice.org domain. There are
certainly some legal concerns and some technical work to get through,
and I know the podling is working through that.

However, the Board felt it appropriate to set a general
Foundation-wide policy in terms of email forwarding services using the
Foundation's domains and brands. In short, *only* people directly
affiliated with the Foundation as a committer or Member are eligible
for email forwarding services using our domains.

The core of this issue is based on avoiding
confusion/misrepresentation based on sending email using our domains.
Just as I can no longer send mail using my old gstein@google.com or
gstein@microsoft.com addresses, we do not want to allow unaffiliated
third parties to send email using our brands/domains. Email addresses
using the @apache.org domain are provided for all committers once they
are voted/approved by one of our Project Management Committees (PMC)
and have returned an Individual Contributor License Agreement. Email
forwarding addresses using our other domains (such as @subversion.com,
@myfaces.org, or @openoffice.org) would be subject to all the above
rules, along with technical input and support from Infrastructure. The
PMCs associated with these extra domain(s) may set additional
requirements/policies, but the general recommendation of the Board is
to avoid all email forwarding services beyond @apache.org.

If you have any questions, then please feel to contact myself or the Board.

Cheers,
Greg Stein
Vice Chairman, Director,
Apache Software Foundation

Re: Foundation policy for email forwarding service

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <ls...@gmail.com>.
On 9 November 2011 01:53, Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org> wrote:
> To add onto this policy with my brand management hat, I would strongly
> advise the AOOo PPMC to choose to not provide mail forwarding addresses
> @openoffice.org domain for project committers.

I would very much agree with Shane.

> All committers already have @apache.org email addresses, which would be the
> best way to for active committers to show their participation in this new
> project, working in the Apache Way, called Apache OpenOffice going forward.

I agree, as well. OpenOffice.org is if not dead a zombie. Long live
the living Apache OpenOffice.  :-)

Cheers,
louis

Posted by Donald Harbison <dp...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>.
On 11/9/11 7:53 AM, Shane Curcuru wrote:
> To add onto this policy with my brand management hat, I would strongly
> advise the AOOo PPMC to choose to not provide mail forwarding addresses
> @openoffice.org domain for project committers.
>
> All committers already have @apache.org email addresses, which would be
> the best way to for active committers to show their participation in
> this new project, working in the Apache Way, called Apache OpenOffice
> going forward.

+1

Juergen