Posted to dev@camel.apache.org by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com> on 2011/09/11 09:33:00 UTC

Compilation error on trunk on windows on Apache Jenkins

Hi

Apache Jenkins is reporting errors on Camel trunk on windows
https://builds.apache.org/job/Camel.trunk.fulltest.windows/11/

Its a compilation error in the model. We have seen this java generics
issues before on compiling to AIX, HP-UX, IBM JDKs and whatnot in the
past. Also sometimes it was a bug in the JDK version itself, so by
upgrading the JDK it would fix that.

On my XP Box I could not reproduce the compilation error on trunk.
Apache Maven 3.0.3 (r1075438; 2011-02-28 18:31:09+0100)
Maven home: E:\maven\bin\..
Java version: 1.6.0_18, vendor: Sun Microsystems Inc.
Java home: C:\jdk1.6.0_18\jre
Default locale: en_GB, platform encoding: Cp1252
OS name: "windows xp", version: "5.1", arch: "x86", family: "windows"

I was not able to find details on Jenkins which windows and JDK
version was used.
Its a big PITA that Jenkins do not log this in the console, so you
have it easily available.

Anyone on a Windows box, could you try to compile camel-core from
trunk on your system.
To see if you have this issue as well?

The fix is often to have an explicit redundant type cast in the code,
to "help" the compiler.
We usually added a code comment in the code, that this type cast is
needed due to compilation issues on other platforms.

Caused by: org.apache.maven.plugin.CompilationFailureException:
Compilation failure
\hudson\hudson-slave\workspace\Camel.trunk.fulltest.windows\camel-trunk\camel-core\src\main\java\org\apache\camel\model\LoadBalanceDefinition.java:[134,16]
inconvertible types
found   : org.apache.camel.model.ProcessorDefinition<capture#632 of ?>
required: org.apache.camel.model.LoadBalanceDefinition

	at org.apache.maven.plugin.AbstractCompilerMojo.execute(AbstractCompilerMojo.java:656)
	at org.apache.maven.plugin.CompilerMojo.execute(CompilerMojo.java:128)
	at org.apache.maven.plugin.DefaultBuildPluginManager.executeMojo(DefaultBuildPluginManager.java:101)
	at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.MojoExecutor.execute(MojoExecutor.java:209)

--
Claus Ibsen
-----------------

Re: Compilation error on trunk on windows on Apache Jenkins

Posted by bvahdat <ba...@swissonline.ch>.
How stupid of me! Just realized that you've already kicked off a full test
run by today...

Sorry!

Re: Compilation error on trunk on windows on Apache Jenkins

Posted by bvahdat <ba...@swissonline.ch>.
Hi Claus,

Unfortunately your last full test on windows missed the bug fix below which
caused some tests on "camel-jms" & "camel-stream" to fail:

IMHO the newly introduced "retry up to 5 times logic" in
TestSupport.deleteDirectory() doesn't bring any added value, as that's not
the CI-Server holding a lock on the file, but just the currently running
test case itself.

Do you mind to kick off another windows full test?

Regards, Babak

Re: Compilation error on trunk on windows on Apache Jenkins

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Okay the patch seems to work. Apache CI server can now compile and
test camel-core.

Its currently running a full test
https://builds.apache.org/job/Camel.trunk.fulltest.windows/15/console

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Thanks

<ch...@die-schneider.net> wrote:
> [...]
>>>

>>> Caused by: org.apache.maven.plugin.CompilationFailureException:
>>> Compilation failure
>>>
>>> \hudson\hudson-slave\workspace\Camel.trunk.fulltest.windows\camel-trunk\camel-core\src\main\java\org\apache\camel\model\LoadBalanceDefinition.java:[134,16]
>>> inconvertible types
>>> found   : org.apache.camel.model.ProcessorDefinition<capture#632 of ?>
>>> required: org.apache.camel.model.LoadBalanceDefinition
>>>
>>>    at
>>> org.apache.maven.plugin.AbstractCompilerMojo.execute(AbstractCompilerMojo.java:656)
>>>    at org.apache.maven.plugin.CompilerMojo.execute(CompilerMojo.java:128)
>>>    at
>>> org.apache.maven.plugin.DefaultBuildPluginManager.executeMojo(DefaultBuildPluginManager.java:101)
>>>    at
>>> org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.MojoExecutor.execute(MojoExecutor.java:209)

Claus Ibsen
-----------------

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
My machine is a

Intel Core i5
Windows 7

mvn -v

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
Hi Claus,

http://www.talend.com

Re: Compilation error on trunk on windows on Apache Jenkins

Posted by bvahdat <ba...@swissonline.ch>.
Hi Claus,

Having the following setup on my windows box, I couldn't reproduce the
compliation error:

c:\dev\workspace\camel>mvn --version
Apache Maven 3.0.3 (r1075438; 2011-02-28 18:31:09+0100)
Maven home: c:\dev\apache-maven-3.0.3\bin\..
Java version: 1.6.0_26, vendor: Sun Microsystems Inc.
Java home: c:\dev\jdk1.6\jre
Default locale: de_CH, platform encoding: Cp1252
OS name: "windows vista", version: "6.0", arch: "x86", family: "windows"

However if you remember a user reported exactly the same problem on the same
place by the LoadBalanceDefinition:

http://camel.465427.n5.nabble.com/why-i-building-camel2-7-2-use-maven-install-error-td4532013.html

So I suspect either an ibm-jdk by jenkins is in use, or an old sun-jdk (as
Freeman Fang mentioned in the thread above).

Maybe you would want to give a try on the workaround I proposed by the upper
thread.

Regards, Babak