Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Stephane-3 <mi...@yahoo.se> on 2012/10/09 20:15:52 UTC

What diagnostic action to take when Maven hangs ?

Hi,

I have a Maven build that hangs and I wonder what to do to get some feedback
like a message or stack trace or dump..

I'm stuck trying to run some integration tests
http://forum.springsource.org/showthread.php?130859-Maven-build-hangs-on-simple-Roo-script&p=426888&posted=1#post426888

Thanks
Stephane

Re: What diagnostic action to take when Maven hangs ?

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
 From the original post, it appears that the hang is in the testing
phase so I am not sure how much information will come out in a dump or
Maven debug mode but it will not hurt anything.

I am more suspicious about a test with a loop that does not terminate or
a test with a set of bad credentials or a bad URL that is causing a
remote operation or database access to fail and go into a wait state.

Ron

On 09/10/2012 3:22 PM, Curtis Rueden wrote:
> Hi Stephane,
>
>> I have a Maven build that hangs and I wonder what to do to get some
>> feedback like a message or stack trace or dump..
> Did you try Ctrl+\ (or Ctrl+Pause on Windows) from the console to do a full
> thread dump? It might shed some light on what is going on. You can also run
> Maven in debug mode ("mvn -X") to potentially get more information about
> where things hang.
>
> HTH,
> Curtis
>

> On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 1:15 PM, Stephane-3 <mi...@yahoo.se> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a Maven build that hangs and I wonder what to do to get some
>> feedback
>> like a message or stack trace or dump..
>>
>> I'm stuck trying to run some integration tests
>>
>> http://forum.springsource.org/showthread.php?130859-Maven-build-hangs-on-simple-Roo-script&p=426888&posted=1#post426888
>>
>> Thanks
>> Stephane
>>

>> --

Ron Wheeler
President
Artifact Software Inc
email: rwheeler@artifact-software.com
skype: ronaldmwheeler
phone: 866-970-2435, ext 102

Re: What diagnostic action to take when Maven hangs ?

Posted by Curtis Rueden <ct...@wisc.edu>.
Hi Stephane,

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
Adding some logging to the tests would help.

In Windows, you can use Task Manager to see what your processes are doing.
In Linux, top will tell you.

Ron

Posted by Curtis Rueden <ct...@wisc.edu>.
Hi Stephane,

> Doing a Ctrl-C gives me back the prompt but I don't see any console
> output like a dump.

Not Ctrl-C. Use Ctrl+\ (Linux/Mac/etc.) or Ctrl+Pause (Windows).

HTH,
Curtis

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
What is it doing when it hangs.

It is CPU bound, IO bound or waiting for roo to access a database or
remote service?

On which test is it hanging?
What does that test do?

Do you have lots of debug statements in your tests?

Just some ideas to think about.

Ron