Posted to users@camel.apache.org by nitingupta183 <ni...@gmail.com> on 2008/09/26 15:08:33 UTC

Camel + Seda

Hi all,

In my application, I am thinking of using SEDA Camel component to achieve
async communication between two processes. Since I am new to SEDA, I would
like to have ur opinion on following:

- Is it right to use SEDA? I mean does it have any impact on the performance
(in bad way) of the application?
- Is it the standard practice between Camel developers to use it for the
asynchronous communication between processes which are time intensive?

Any pointers which can lead to SEDA based implementations and the concerns,
shall be highly appreciated.

Regards,
nitin

Re: Camel + Seda

Posted by cmoulliard <cm...@gmail.com>.
Hi Nitin,

Please have a look to the following link for more information about SEDA :

You can check out the SEDA component wiki documentation:
http://activemq.apache.org/camel/seda.html

And comparison between the different endpoints (direct, seda, vm, ...)
http://activemq.apache.org/camel/how-do-the-direct-event-seda-and-vm-endpoints-compare.html

And the source code:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/activemq/camel/trunk/camel-core/src/main/java/org/apache/camel/component/seda/

Kind regards,

Charles Moulliard

nitingupta183 wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> In my application, I am thinking of using SEDA Camel component to achieve
> async communication between two processes. Since I am new to SEDA, I would
> like to have ur opinion on following:
>
> - Is it right to use SEDA? I mean does it have any impact on the
> performance (in bad way) of the application?
> - Is it the standard practice between Camel developers to use it for the
> asynchronous communication between processes which are time intensive?
>
> Any pointers which can lead to SEDA based implementations and the
> concerns, shall be highly appreciated.
>
> Regards,
> nitin

-----
Enterprise Architect

Xpectis
12, route d'Esch
L-1470 Luxembourg

Phone +352 25 10 70 470
Mobile +352 621 45 36 22

e-mail : cmoulliard@xpectis.com
web site :  www.xpectis.com www.xpectis.com
My Blog :  http://cmoulliard.blogspot.com/ http://cmoulliard.blogspot.com/

Re: Camel + Seda

Posted by nitingupta183 <ni...@gmail.com>.
Hi James,

Bu process I meant, the application process i.e. inside the same JVM.

Thanks for the clarification.

Regards,
Nitin

Re: Camel + Seda

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
2008/9/27 nitingupta183 <ni...@gmail.com>:
> Hi Claus,
>
> I intend to use SEDA endpoint to asynchronously call a process from another
> process as I think that the called process can be time intensive. So unless
> it is not made to act in the async mode, then app users' wait time is gonna
> go rise.

Sounds good.

BTW when you say 'process' do you mean operating system process or are
we talking about in the same JVM here. If its separate processes then
the seda endpoint won't work (it only works for producers and
consumers within the same JVM) - instead try looking at JMS or file
endpoints...
http://activemq.apache.org/camel/jms.html

> Is it a valid use case for using SEDA? As you can see, my purpose is just to
> make the called process work in its own thread so that the calling thread
> can return in quick time.

Definitely!

--
James