Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com> on 2014/02/07 04:07:36 UTC

Fwd: Regarding the Apache incubator project named Sentry

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Shawn McKinney <sm...@symas.com>
> Date: February 6, 2014 8:47:54 AM PST
> To: private@incubator.apache.org
> Subject: Regarding the Apache incubator project named Sentry
>
> Hello,
>
> This mail is to inform you that we have been using 'Sentry' as the name of our product for years, as you can check here:
>
> http://symas.com/products/symas-enforcement-foundry/
>
> http://jts.us/products
>
> http://www.jts.us/iamfortress/javadocs/api-sentry/index.html?overview-summary.html
>
> http://search.maven.org/#search%7Cgav%7C1%7Cg%3A%22us.joshuatreesoftware%22%20AND%20a%3A%22sentry%22
>
> The Sentry name has been used by joshuatreesoftware, symas, and subsequently released as an open source product by the openldap foundation for over two years.  We believe using the same name for a product that does roughly the same thing (role-based authorization) would be confusing and dilute the value of both products.
>
> Thanks in advance for your cooperation,
>
> Shawn McKinney
> --
> 650-963-7681 smckinney@symas.com

Craig L Russell
Architect, Oracle
http://db.apache.org/jdo
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@oracle.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

Re: Fwd: Regarding the Apache incubator project named Sentry

Posted by Jarek Jarcec Cecho <ja...@apache.org>.
We've received a complain about "sentry" name on the general mailing list.

Jarcec