Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by JensBurkhardt <je...@web.de> on 2008/03/12 14:54:17 UTC

Highlighter Hits

Hello everybody,

I have s slight problem using lucenes highlighter. If i have the highlighter
enabled, a query creates 0 hits, if i disable the highlighter i get the
hits.
It seems like, when i call searcher.search() and pass my Hits hits to the
highlighter function, the program quits. All prints after the highlighter
call also do not appear.
I have no idea what the problem is.

Thanks in advise

Jens Burkhardt

Re: Highlighter Hits

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
What does your stack trace look like? I've never seen Lucene "just quit"
without throwing an exception, and printStackTrace() is your friend.....

Or are you catching exceptions without logging them? If so, shame
on you <G>.....

Best
Erick

P.S. I can't recommend strongly enough that you get a good IDE
and debug in it. I spent far too much of my life debugging with
printlns and never, ever want to go back there again... Eclipse
is free if sometimes "interesting" to set up. IntelliJ is sweet. And
a unit test or two will help significantly too. Sorry if you know all this,
but your comment about prints lights me right up <G>.....

Re: Highlighter Hits

Posted by Matthew Hall <mh...@informatics.jax.org>.
I suspect you are using a different analyzer to highlight than you are
using to search.

A couple of things you can check:

Immediately after your query simply print out hits.length, this should
conclusively tell you that you query is in fact working, after that
ensure that you are using the same analyzer for your highlighter that
you are for your query parser.

If you are not, its entirely possible that the text you are trying to
highlight with is being transformed differently than how it was in the
query, and as a result isn't matching against your fields anymore.

Hope that helps,

Matt