Posted to alexandria-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Jim Ray <jr...@lanscape.net> on 2001/11/02 14:45:51 UTC

Re: GUMP Extending

>What changes to the <repository> element do you think would be helpful for
>perforce?  What would attributes would you think would be appropriate for a
><perforce> tag in a <module>?  What perforce commands are the rough analogs
>for cvs checkout and extract?

I'm going to sit down and see, the paradigms are a little different so I
will
try to map them out over the weekend.

>If you want to help code this, I can point you in the right direction and
>will fold in the results.  Otherwise, if you can tell me what you want, I
>can take a stab at it.

I think I want to give it a try, I have been perusing the code that last
couple of
days.  And think I might have an idea.

>Again, the requirement was originally intended to be anything that can be
>built from the command line (as I use Linux, Solaris, and Windows,
>personally I add the additional requirement of being able to be done in a
>portable manner, but for your own projects, this is not a requirement).

I decided to go the Ant route.  I am making build.xml files for all the
projects
that way it's consistent across all of them.  This should be fine for us
for now.

>The easy part would be adding some sort of command like <make>.  The part
>that requires more thought is the constructing of INCLUDE and LIB
>enviroronment variables (the purpose of jar is to aid in the construction
>of CLASSPATH, so new elements would have to be defined.)

I may decide later on, once the Perforce part is done at trying this.  There
is also some work going on with Ant and C/C++ stuff, so maybe I can get
some
ideas from there.

>Meanwhile, you can get a feel for how nagging works by looking at two
>files:
>
>http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/~checkout~/jakarta-alexandria/proposal/gump/naglist
>http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/~checkout~/jakarta-alexandria/proposal/gump/nag.pl

Figured this one out,  I may do some stuff, that would allow Jabber IM
notifications,
instead of e-mail.  Considering that's where I work.  And the company
much prefers that.
If that's ok with you.

Jim Ray