Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Stefan Klein <st...@gmail.com> on 2014/06/18 16:51:19 UTC

bind_address = 127.2.1.10

Hi all,

I want to run multiple CouchDB instances on a single host. I don't want to
use different ports, but different loopback adresses and have a nginx
reverse proxy to forward requests to the right CouchDB. (using different
addresses i can use /etc/hosts to assign names.)

OS is Ubunto 12.04 LTS
I tried just using:

bind_address = 127.2.1.10

in local.ini, doesn't work.

Now i've setup lo:1 in /etc/network/interfaces:

iface lo:1 inet static
  address 127.2.1.10
  network 127.2.1.0
  netmask 255.255.255.0

which results in an interface:

$ ifconfig lo:1
lo:1      Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.2.1.10  Mask:255.255.255.0
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1

CouchDB still refuses to bind to that interface:

from /var/log/upstart/couchdb.log:
=SUPERVISOR REPORT==== 18-Jun-2014::16:40:12 ===
     Supervisor: {local,couch_secondary_services}
     Context:    start_error
     Reason:     invalid_bind_address
     Offender:   [{pid,undefined},
                  {name,httpd},
                  {mfargs,{couch_httpd,start_link,[]}},
                  {restart_type,permanent},
                  {shutdown,brutal_kill},
                  {child_type,worker}]

(error message is the same for all tries)

Any more ideas?

regards,
Stefan

Re: bind_address = 127.2.1.10

Posted by Stefan Klein <st...@gmail.com>.

> Hi all,
>
> I want to run multiple CouchDB instances on a single host. I don't want to
> use different ports, but different loopback adresses and have a nginx
> reverse proxy to forward requests to the right CouchDB. (using different
> addresses i can use /etc/hosts to assign names.)
>
> OS is Ubunto 12.04 LTS
> I tried just using:
>
> bind_address = 127.2.1.10
>
> in local.ini, doesn't work.

I don't know what went wrong first time, but after vacation couchdb happily
binds to any IP Address of the 127.0.0.0/8 network.
Without defining an alias interface or any other additional configuration.

--
Stefan