Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Robert Hewlett <he...@cinci.rr.com> on 2002/01/31 07:02:25 UTC

Question!

Does Log4J have a utility to parse it out.

1. If a DailyRolling logfile was used someone
might want to parse the logs looking for special
information.

I was thinking about writing a little applet that
would load the data and allow the user to select
what they wanted to show and not to show and spit
out an excel spreadsheet or a txt file or spit out
and .html file to place on a website for viewing.

Although Log4J is used mostly for logging errors. I
like to use the Audit level to track users performing
certain tasks so I can create a user profile of the
different users and what they are trying to do on
my sites. This I think would help me create a site
tailored towards my customers needs.

2. If an alert4J was created to parse the logs and
look for specific errors to send out a page or an
email when a certain error occurred (configurable).
This would be too hard to do but would make things
very easy for someone to include in their log4j.props
file.

ERROR: web-site down
EMAIL:whomever@star.net,joejoe@gateway.org

Just some suggestions. I wouldnt mind creating some
things to make this happen.

Thanks,
Rob

Re: Question!

Posted by Scott Farquhar <sc...@atlassian.com>.
These questions weould be better asked on the Tomcat users list.  It
sounds like they have nothing to do with logging.

Scott

Robert Hewlett wrote:

> Thanks Scott I am checking out the LogFactor and LumberMill
> right now.
>
> I have another problem don't know if anyone could help. I am
> running Apache and Tomcat 3.2.2 with log4j on Solaris 8 and it
> works out great. When I run LoadRunner against it Tomcat does
> a core dump around 74 users. I am going to try and read the
> core with GDB but I know nothing about that (First time).
> I am asking for help in tweeking Apache or Tomcat to handle
> a large load. My application queries for say 1000 image textual
> links per user and that takes about 2 secs per user but when
> we crank LoadRunner it takes a little longer and Tomcat cores...
> It is processor intensive and all the image data is stored in
> session. When that user performs another query we go run that
> query and stuff that into session and display those in window
> with their previous query (So we dont have to query again for
> the same info).
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated...
> Thanks,
> Rob

Scott Farquhar :: scott@atlassian.com

Atlassian :: http://www.atlassian.com
      Supporting YOUR J2EE World

RE: Question!

Re: Question!

Posted by Scott Farquhar <sc...@atlassian.com>.
1. Post-log processing / GUI:

http://traxel.com/lumbermill/
http://www.puppycrawl.com/chainsaw
http://www.servidium.com/site/logfactor5/index.html

2. Alerting to errors:

Why would you want to have to parse the logs for this?

Either use SMTP appender:

http://jakarta.apache.org/log4j/docs/api/org/apache/log4j/net/SMTPAppender.html
or use FileAppender & HTMLLayout
   http://jakarta.apache.org/log4j/docs/api/org/apache/log4j/HTMLLayout.html

If none of those work - you can create a custom appender to do the work
for you in real time.  If you are worried that your processing may be
complex (for example updating a remote database & sending emails), use
the Async Appender:

http://jakarta.apache.org/log4j/docs/api/org/apache/log4j/AsyncAppender.html

Cheers,
Scott