Posted to user@ignite.apache.org by chewie <an...@gmail.com> on 2018/10/15 15:05:16 UTC

Priority on affinityCalls

Hello and thank you for this project. It's awesome!

I'm adapting an older DB-centric application to use Ignite in order to be
more scalable and I'm trying to make my affinityCalls work in a prioritized
order but can't really work it out. There seems to be a bit of documentation
on Job Scheduling but that seems to be for the ComputeTaskSplitAdapter. So
the question is: can I add a priority to an IgniteCallable and make that
callable be executed on the server node in a prioritized order?
Thanks in advance.

/Anders

RE: Priority on affinityCalls

Posted by Stanislav Lukyanov <st...@gmail.com>.
I personally feel that this should be handled on higher level.
In my view, Ignite Compute subsystem is about simple delivery of a job
to a remote server. It has failover and all, but to really use that you have to
go for ComputeTaskSplitAdapter or similar things, and they’re hard to get right.

I’d rather see some sort of distributed job scheduler as a higher level subsystem,
e.g. built as an Ignite Service.

Or, one could say that all you need is a distributed priority queue.
We already have a regular FIFO queue as an Ignite Data Structure.
Why not add another one?

In any case, I think you should ask on dev@ignite.apache.org
what other people think.
And the best way to get this feature is to contribute it! :)

Stan

Posted by Stanislav Lukyanov <st...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Nope, there is no priority queue for affinity calls.
ComputeTaskSplitAdapter seems to be the best way to handle this.

As an alternative, you could do something similar with a cluster singleton service:
submit tasks to it, sort by priority, and send them to the servers as affinityRun.

Not sure which approach is easier to implement.

Stan