Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Steven Lewis <sm...@lordjoe.com> on 2001/10/15 06:07:01 UTC

Newbie questions

OK - I am having a lot of problems with the axis documentation
It is unclear
1) Should axis run stand alone or with Tomcat?
2) How does axis determine its directory path - i.e. what directory should
I launch it from?
3) Is there an archive of this list so I do not repeat questions already
answered

I can get it to say
SimpleAxisServer
You've reached the SimpleAxisServer.

when I run  SimpleAxisServer as the main but cannot get it to do anything
else. The Docs talk alot about icons I really do not see in the distribution.

LordJoe - Java Training and Consulting
http://www.LordJoe.com

Re: Newbie questions

Posted by Andre Juffer <aj...@sun3.oulu.fi>.

Steven Lewis wrote:

> OK - I am having a lot of problems with the axis documentation
> It is unclear
> 1) Should axis run stand alone or with Tomcat?

Within a servlet container, such as tomcat.

> 2) How does axis determine its directory path - i.e. what directory should
> I launch it from?

Tomcat will take care of it, as long as you have put Axis in the webapp
subdirectory.

> 3) Is there an archive of this list so I do not repeat questions already
> answered

I was trying that myself. I could't find, so I guess it does not exist
(yet).

> I can get it to say
> SimpleAxisServer
> You've reached the SimpleAxisServer.

Which means the server is running ok.

> when I run  SimpleAxisServer as the main but cannot get it to do
> anything else.

Actually, I do have one or two problems with Axis myself. I got a few
things to work after switching to Tomcat4.0 (Catalina). I got at least
the deployment part working, but I cannot run the stock example (user
authentication failure).

What exactly is not working for you?

> The Docs talk alot about icons I really do not see in the
> distribution.

> LordJoe - Java Training and Consulting
>
> http://www.LordJoe.com <http://www.lordjoe.com/>

The Biocenter and            | Fax: +358-8-553-1141
     the Dep. of Biochemistry | Email: Andre.Juffer@oulu.fi
University of Oulu, Finland  | WWW: http://www.biochem.oulu.fi/Biocomputing/